This Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad is filled with toasted sliced almonds, chewy sweet dried cranberries and fresh celery for a little crunch. Dressed with a creamy poppyseed dressing and seasoned to perfection, it’s one of those tummy filling dishes that I love to make. Made in advance, it can be chilling in the fridge ready for sandwiches and snacking on busy days. There are so many variations of chicken salad and I think I enjoy each and every one equally. I particularly love this fruit and nut laced version for the added texture of the chewy dried cranberries, and the nutty flavor from the toasted almonds.
The prepared poppyseed dressing adds a nice edge, too. You can serve this chicken salad on warm buttered croissants, your favorite slider roll or scoop it onto a fresh lettuce leaf. Today, I was fortunate to find fresh Maui Onion Rolls at my local market, and I must say, they were over the top filled with this delightful chicken salad and dressed simply with lettuce for a little extra crunch.
Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad
Author: Melissa Sperka
Serves: Approximately 2½ lb
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup prepared poppyseed salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- For the salad:
- 4-5 cups chopped roasted chicken
- ⅔ cup celery, finely diced
- ⅓ cup toasted almond slices
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- To serve:
- 8 fresh onion rolls, croissants, slider rolls
- green leaf or bibb lettuce leaves, separated
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until combined.
- Stir in the chopped chicken, celery, toasted almond slices and dried cranberries. Mix gently until combined.
- Adjust the dressing, if desired.
- Serve chilled on onion rolls, croissants or slider rolls dressed with green leaf or bibb lettuce.