Curried Chicken Salad – Using the flavor of curry in a salad provides a nice flavor twist and a welcome change to a standard version of chicken salad. We love Indian inspired dishes, and curried chicken salad has been a family favorite for a long time. It has a sweet and spicy flavor combination that’s really appealing.
It’s a wonderful appetizer, when served on mini croissants or in mini phyllo cups for a bite size treat. You can also enjoy it on a bed of bibb lettuce for a main course meal, if you like. We adore the flavor of cilantro, so, it definitely makes an appearance in my curried chicken salad. If you’re not sure about adding cilantro to yours, you can use it for a garnish, instead.
Curried Chicken Salad
Servings: 3 -4 lbs
- 4-5 cups chopped roasted chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup chutney [I used Crosse & Blackwell- Apricot Chardonnay]
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds/pecan pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the almond slivers in an even layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 6-8 minutes, then set aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Toast the phyllo cups for 3-5 minutes per the instructions on the box. Cool completely before filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chutney, half & half, lemon juice, curry powder and salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped celery, chicken, cilantro and raisins.
- Stir until fully combined, then taste and adjust the salt and black pepper. Add the toasted slivered almonds.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Serve in phyllo cups, on mini croissants, or sourdough rolls.