This Almond Joy Earthquake Cake is so fun to make! Earthquake cakes earned their name because they crack and rise randomly due to the rich cream cheese dollops placed throughout the cake batter. This version starts with flaked coconut and almonds, that’s smothered with a fudgy cake batter then swirled with dollops of a sweet cream cheese filling. I’m all for gilding the lily with more chocolate and this cake is no exception. Earthquake cakes are so rich there’s no need to add frosting simply cut just the way it is and serve with a cup of coffee or hot tea. Heavenly.
Adapted from Duncan Hines Earthquake Cake here
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Almond Joy Earthquake Cake
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut divided
- 1/2-1 cup roughly chopped almonds Adjust amount to your taste
- 1 15.25- oz box Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix plus oil, water and eggs to prepare
- 1 8-oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the coconut on the bottom of the pan followed y the almonds.
- Prepare the cake mix batter per the instructions on the box using the amounts called for of water, oil and eggs. (Tip: For a richer cake substitute buttermilk for the water)
- Pour the batter evenly over the coconut and almonds in the pan. Don't stir.
- Using a hand mixer cream together the cream cheese, softened butter and almond extract.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until creamy about 1-2 minutes.
- Fold 1/2 cup coconut by hand.
- Drop the creamed mixture using a teaspoon randomly over the batter. Use a knife to lightly swirl through the batter don't mix-in fully.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake batter with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake portion comes back clean.
- Cool to room temperature, cut into squares and serve.