This Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake is a chocolate poke cake filled with a rich fudgy sauce that's topped with roasted almonds, toasted marshmallows and a drizzle of warm chocolate. It's incredibly rich and decadent and super simple to prepare making it the ideal choice for bakers of all skill levels.
Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake Recipe
Poke cakes, by definition are meant to be a low stress baking project. They're fun to make and eat.This signature Rocky Road Fudge version is one I developed due to my love of rocky road in any form. It can be served warm or chilled it's completely up to you. Personally, I think there's just something about serving it while it's still warm and the marshmallows are gooey. It's a decadent cake that's meant for sharing.
Helpful Tips for Making Poke Cakes
- I use a fudge cake mix for this recipe but, you can use any flavor of chocolate cake mix that you like best. whether it's devils food, milk chocolate or dark chocolate any will work. Rule of thumb, if you like then you'll be good to go.
- Seasoned bakers, if you'd like to make this cake using a homemade chocolate cake, checkout my recipe for chocolate buttermilk cake.
- As I mentioned earlier, this cake is spectacular served warm. That being said, it does keep so, if preferred, you can also serve it at room temperature. When doing so, you can follow the recipe and drizzle immediately with chocolate or wait and drizzle with the warm chocolate on top just before serving.
Other Chocolate Dessert Recipes to Try
Julia child once said that a party without cake is just a meeting. I completely agree, cake always gets the party started. Other chocolate cake and dessert recipes you may like to try:
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Rocky Road Pretzel Bark
- Rocky Road Brownie Cookies
- Rocky Road Peanut Clusters from Mom on Timeout
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 3-in-1 Cake and Cupcake Caddy
- 13 x 9-inch Baking Dish
- Electric Hand Mixer
- Bamboo Cooking Utensils Set
Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box chocolate fudge cake mix plus ingredients eggs oil and water to prepare
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 11 oz jar hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cup mini chocolate chips divided
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds toasted
- Prepare the cake mix per the instructions on the package using the amounts for eggs, oil and water called for. Bake in a 13 x 9 inch cake pan per directions.
- Remove from the oven and Immediately take a fork and poke holes all over the hot cake.
- Warm the hot fudge in the microwave just enough to make it pourable then whisk together with the sweetened condensed milk. Spread over the hot cake, gently pressing into holes.
- Arrange the marshmallows on top and sprinkle ⅓ cup of mini chocolate chips over the marshmallows.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the marshmallows to melt and become slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 cup mini chocolate chips in the microwave with ½ cup of heavy cream. Heat in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth.
- Drizzle over the warm toasted marshmallows and crumble the toasted almond slices on top. Let stand for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.