This rich and indulgent Black Bottomed Chocolate Cream Pie features a velvety homemade chocolate custard filling. A chocolate cookie crust forms the foundation and billows of whipped cream makes a beautiful finish.
Black Bottomed Chocolate Cream Pie is a Special Dessert
The delicious homemade chocolate custard filling in this pie is a treat all on it's own. When making it, I don't dare turn my back on the chocolate custard, or some of my family members would be quite happy to eat it straight from the bowl. That would only result in the need for me to whip-up a second batch. For the best results use a quality brand of chocolate chips that will melt completely smooth and the filling will be like silk. Garnish the whipped cream on top with grated chocolate just before serving for a flawless finish.
Other Chocolate Pie Recipes to Add to the Dessert Menu
Chocolate pie variations and flavor combinations abound. You may also enjoy these recipes for pie:
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Black Bottomed Chocolate Cream Pie
- 2 ¼ cup chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- ½ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 10 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoon butter divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups half & half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cup sweetened fresh whipped cream
- cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spritz a 10-inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, toss together the chocolate cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press evenly into the pie plate.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate with 2 tablespoon butter until smooth. This can be done in a double boiler over simmering water or in a microwave. In the microwave, heat in 20 second increments, stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth.
- To make the custard: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks together. Whisk beaten yolks into cornstarch-sugar mixture.
- Add half and half and remaining 2 tablespoon butter to a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until the butter has melted and the half and half is hot.
- Whisk the sugar-egg mixture into the half and half then bring to a boil. Lower the temperature to medium to prevent scorching, whisking constantly for 1 minute after thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Pour into a glass bowl, and press plastic wrap directly on top of the chocolate custard to prevent a film from forming. Chill completely for around 2 hours.
- After chilling the chocolate custard, stir until smooth then spread into the pie shell.
- Chill for 4-6 hours to allow the filling to set-up prior to cutting.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder before serving.