This irresistible chocolate turtle bundt cake is a made-from-scratch chocolate caramel pecan delight. It’s drizzled with a buttery pecan-caramel sauce and a healthy drizzle of silky chocolate ganache. It’s a cake that’s dressed to impress even the pickiest of dessert eaters.
I love baking and have since I was a little girl. The very first recipe I ever recall making was peanut butter cookies from scratch. That was my very first real baking experience apart from my easy bake oven and I was around 9 years old. While I love the convenient baking products that are available and use them myself from time to time, my true passion is building a dessert from the ground up when I have time. This scrumptious chocolate cake begins with my chocolate buttermilk cake. In this instance, I’m baking the batter in a bundt pan because I love having the gooey drizzle cascade down both sides of each slice, it’s just heavenly. Plus, when people see this cake on the table they get googly eyes. I love it.
This cake can be made in advance and served as is, or while the topping is still slightly warm and gooey with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. When it comes to a dessert like this one why not gild the lily? If making in advance, store the cake chilled but allow it to come to room temperature so the toppings can soften a bit. It’s one of my favorite original recipe creations and I hope you’ll love it, too.
Chocolate Turtle Bundt Cake
- 1 recipe Chocolate Buttermilk Cake made in a bundt pan
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecan pieces toasted
- Caramel-pecan sauce:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick or 4 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate ganache:
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Prepare the chocolate buttermilk cake per the directions. Bake in a buttered and floured bundt pan for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Spread the pecan pieces in a single layer on a sheet pan. Toast in a 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes Set aside to cool.
- To make the caramel-pecan sauce: In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat melt together the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat then add the vanilla and toasted pecans. Stir until the pecans are coated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the ganache: in a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth.
- Place the bundt cake on a cake pedestal or platter. Drizzle with 1/3 of the chocolate ganache and 1/3 of the caramel pecan sauce. Repeat drizzling the cake on all sides until both of the sauces are used.
- Store chilled bringing to room temperature for serving.
The caramel-pecan sauce and chocolate ganache should still be warm but still pourable before drizzling onto the cake.