These stuffed Italian Antipasto Squares can take you from casual meals and family snacking to tailgating and beyond. Thanks to crescent rolls, no pastry crust making is required!
What You'll Need to Making Antipasto Squares
Crescent rolls are one of those versatile convenience items that sometimes save the day. In the instance of these antipasto squares, they form the crust and it works like a charm. You'll also need sliced mozzarella and provolone cheese, you could choose to use one or the other but, I like the combo. You'll also need your favorite brand of prepared basil pesto from a jar, deli ham, hard salami and sandwich pepperoni. You'll need sliced black olives and pepperoncini. Olive oil, Parmesan cheese and seasonings for the top of the crust.
Helpful Tips for Making Antipasto Squares
- When preparing the ingredients, it's important to remove as much liquid as possible from the pepperoncini. Drain them then gently press using paper towels to dry.
- I used a prepared brand of basil pesto for this recipe. If there's one you already enjoy, go for it. Both Classico and Bertolli have great pestos that are typically easy to find.
- As I mentioned, it's perfectly fine to use only mozzarella or only provolone cheese in place of the combination of the two used for these antipasto squares. I like the flavor given by using both.
- I bake these in a 13 x 9 inch metal pan for the crispness it lends to the crust. If you don't have one, you can also bake this in a glass pan, if that's what you have available.
- I recommend sandwich size pepperoni for these rolls. It's not wrong to use smaller pizza-style pepperoni but you'll need more than called for in the recipe to cover the surface of the filling.
- If you don't care for black olives, you could substitute using green pimento stuffed olives instead or omit them altogether.
- You could also use an olive spread or tapenade in place of sliced black olives.
Kitchen Tools You'll Need to Make Antipasto Squares
For this recipe you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch metal or glass baking pan, a silicone pastry mat or similar non stick surface to roll out the crescent roll dough, a small bowl to melt the butter, a silicone pastry brush, a Parmesan cheese grater, a tablespoon to measure, a sharp knife to cut into squares and a serving spatula to lift from the pan.
Other Italian Inspired Recipes to Try
More Italian inspired recipes to add to the menu:
- Italian Sausage Stromboli
- Layered Italian Cannellini Bean Dip
- Italian Sausage Asiago Bubble Bread
- Italian Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Meatball Subs
- Pasta e Fagioli
- See how to make an Antipasto Platter from Taste of Home
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 8 oz tubes crescent rolls or crescent roll sheets
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 teaspoon prepared basil pesto
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 10 slices sandwich pepperoni
- 10 slices hard salami
- 1 8 oz jar mild or spicy pepperoncini rings well drained, pat with paper towels and gently squeeze dry
- 1 4 oz can sliced black olives well drained
- 8 slices mozzerella cheese
- 1-2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a non stick 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Unroll one can of crescent rolls. Press together perforations. Press evenly on bottom and ½ inch up side of pan.
- Arrange provolone cheese over crust. Brush with pesto.
- Layer ham, pepperoni, and salami. Top with pepperoncini and olives. Arrange Mozzarella cheese on top.
- On a silicone mat or parchment paper press second can of crescent rolls into roughly a 13 x 9 inch rectangle. Lay on top, then pinch edges with bottom crust together.
- Brush top with olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and cooked through. (Check the top and lay foil on top, if over browning.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then use a sharp knife to cut into 30 even squares.
- Serve immediately.