Italian Stromboli or Roll-Up Pizza Bread?
Homemade Pizza Dough or Refrigerated?
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Sausage Stromboli
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce plus add'l for dipping
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 13.4 oz refrigerated pizza crust [i.e. Pillsbury Classic] or 1 lb homemade pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- In a medium-size skillet saute the onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 2 minutes or until softened.. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute longer. Add Italian sausage to the pan, cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan. Set aside.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a silpat or parchment paper, stretch the dough into roughly a 13 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange the cooked sausage on top, then drizzle with the pizza sauce.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Begin to roll starting from the widest edge. Arrange seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the top and sides with melted butter, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning onion powder and garlic salt. Finish with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 1 inch slices.
- Serve with additional pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.