This family-style Italian Sausage Stromboli will elevate Italian night to another level. It starts with pizza dough, topped with a layer of sweet Italian sausage, a generous helping of mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of pizza sauce. You can add sauteed peppers, olives, ham, pepperoni or any other topping that suits your fancy to make it your own. This Italian Sausage Stromboli has all of the makings of a classic Italian feast.
Italian Stromboli or Roll-Up Pizza Bread?
I make several versions of this type of roll-up bread, and my family never ever gets tired of them. My Barbecue Chicken and Jalapeno Pizza Bread and Bacon Cheeseburger Swirl Bread remain fan favorites. I'm continually receiving messages from busy moms and dads looking for quick weeknight meals and I am purposely keeping it simple for this Italian Sausage Stromboli. Just like pizza, the possibilities are endless. Then roll and bake. You can serve this with a salad for a 30 minute meal or alongside veggies and dip as an appetizer. Entrees like this one fall under the category of 30 minute meals that anyone can make.
Homemade Pizza Dough or Refrigerated?
I purposely use refrigerated pizza dough for this stromboli as it was designed to be an easy weeknight meal. Should you choose to use homemade pizza dough, be aware it should be rolled very thin or it won't bake all the way through. Alternately, form homemade dough into a circle, fill one side then fold it over and pinch the crust like a calzone. Homemade pizza dough will bake more thoroughly when making it this way. To see how to make a calzone, checkout this Cheesy Italian Sausage Calzone here.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Sausage Stromboli
Servings: 12 slices
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- ½ cup pizza sauce plus add'l for dipping
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 13.4 oz refrigerated pizza crust [i.e. Pillsbury Classic] or 1 lb homemade pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp dry Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- In a medium-size skillet saute the onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 2 minutes or until softened.. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute longer. Add Italian sausage to the pan, cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan. Set aside.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a silpat or parchment paper, stretch the dough into roughly a 13 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange the cooked sausage on top, then drizzle with the pizza sauce.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Begin to roll starting from the widest edge. Arrange seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the top and sides with melted butter, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning onion powder and garlic salt. Finish with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 1 inch slices.
- Serve with additional pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.