Kick start your day with a big basket of mouth watering homemade Apple Muffins. Sprinkled with pecan pieces and English toffee bits they bake soft and spicy on the inside with a nutty crunchy top.
Easy Apple Muffins Recipe
While apples are readily available year-round we especially enjoy them during harvest when there’s such an abundance. Whether we’re in the mood for apple crisp, caramel apple fluff or apple crumb pie, if you’re feeling adventurous you might try Jennifer’s caramel apple pie cookies! Apple desserts in general, seem to fall under the comfort food category, these warm and spicy apple muffins are no different, and they’re ideal for breakfast, brunch, tea time or the holidays. How to make simple Apple Muffins with streusel topping: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Prepare Pan – Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan plus 4 cups of additional pan with baking spray.
- Apples – In a small bowl mix together diced apple and granulated sugar. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Dry Ingredients – Use a whisk to sift together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Wet Ingredients – In a separate medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Combine – Mix apples into dry ingredients stirring to coat. Add wet ingredients, mix well.
- Transfer to Cupcake Pan – Divide batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with pecans and toffee bits.
- Bake – Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
How to Make the BEST Apple Muffins Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Apple Muffins: Diced gala apples, granulated sugar, butter, all purpose flour, baking powder, apple pie spice or ground cinnamon, baking soda, salt, buttermilk or sour cream, large eggs, light brown sugar, pure vanilla extract, pecans and bits-o-brickle (English toffee bits).
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Two 12-cup muffin pans, small bowl, large bowl, medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, apple corer and cooling rack.
- Gala apples were used in this recipe. That said, you can adapt using your favorite variety of apples.
- If you’d like larger pieces of apple in the muffins, simply cut them larger. I used 1/4 inch pieces and they tend to melt a bit more into the batter while baking. You may adapt using 1/2 inch cubes, if you desire a more chunky texture.
- The topping packs the most crunch the day these muffins are baked. While they can certainly be made in advance, the toffee bits soften just a little. If you prefer a more crunchy texture, bake and serve them the same day.
- I used apple pie spice in this recipe. You may substitute pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon in the same amount, if desired.
- These muffins freeze well and will keep frozen for up to 2 months.
- Store Apple Muffins in an airtight container chilled for up to 4 days.
More Apple Desserts to Make
- One of my most popular recipes that just keeps growing year after year due to the easy of preparation and flavors are my Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits.
- Easy Fried Apple Pies dusted with powdered sugar.
- Start your day with this Apple Baked Oatmeal.
- Another recipe readers seem to return to over and over again are these Apple Fritters inspired by our favorite apple orchard in Tennessee.
- Apple Cobbler with vanilla ice cream is comfort food for dessert.
- Make your own Apple Pie Filling.
- You may also like to checkout my Parade article for 20 Tempting Apple Desserts that Aren’t Pie here.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 cups diced gala apples peeled and cored
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup bits-o-brickle (English toffee bits)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan plus 4 cups of additional pan with baking spray. Alternately, line with cupcake liners lightly spritzed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together diced apple and granulated sugar. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Use a whisk to sift together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Mix apples into dry ingredients stirring to coat. Add wet ingredients, mix well.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with pecans and toffee bits.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Store chilled in an airtight container.