Kick start your day with a big basket of mouth watering homemade Apple Muffins. Sprinkled with pecan pieces and English toffee bits they bake soft and spicy on the inside with a nutty crunchy top.
Apple Muffins Recipe
While apples are readily available year-round we especially enjoy them during harvest when there's such an abundance. Whether we're in the mood for apple crisp, caramel apple fluff or apple crumb pie, if you're feeling adventurous you might try Jennifer's caramel apple pie cookies! Apple desserts in general, seem to fall under the comfort food category, these warm and spicy apple muffins are no different, and they're ideal for breakfast, brunch, tea time or the holidays.
Pro Tips for Making Apple Muffins from Scratch
- Gala apples were used in this recipe. That said, you can adapt using your favorite variety of apples.
- If you'd like larger pieces of apple in the muffins, simply cut them larger. I used ¼ inch pieces and they tend to melt a bit more into the batter while baking. You may adapt using ½ inch cubes, if you desire a more chunky texture.
- The topping packs the most crunch the day these muffins are baked. While they can certainly be made in advance, the toffee bits soften just a little. If you prefer a more crunchy texture, bake and serve them the same day.
- I used apple pie spice in this recipe. You may substitute pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon in the same amount, if desired.
- These muffins freeze well.
Other Apple Sweets to Enjoy
If you'd like to take full advantage of apple season, try this skillet meal featuring Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples. One of my most popular recipes that just keeps growing year after year due to the easy of preparation and flavors are my Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits. Another recipe readers seem to return to over and over again are these Apple Fritters inspired by our favorite apple orchard in Tennessee. You may also like to checkout my Parade article for 20 Tempting Apple Desserts that Aren't Pie here.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 cups diced gala apples peeled and cored
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup bits-o-brickle (English toffee bits)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan plus 4 cups of additional pan with baking spray. Alternately, line with cupcake liners lightly spritzed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together diced apple and granulated sugar. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt. (A whisk works perfectly for this step)
- Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Mix apples into dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients, mix well.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with pecans and toffee bits.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Store chilled in an airtight container.