This make-ahead Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata features the robust flavor of Asiago cheese, Italian sausage and cubed bagels. The dense texture of the cubed bagels absorbs the custard beautifully and everything can be made and assembled in advance. It's terrific not only as a time saving option but, it's ideal for those special mornings when popping something into the oven is a life saver.
Easy Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata Recipe
I adore make-ahead casseroles. Weekday breakfasts are far more harried then weekends so, that's when we enjoy these sorts of brunch dishes. They're perfection for planning special holiday breakfasts in advance that allows the host to enjoy the get together, too. For an evening meal, bake it while you unwind or help the kids with homework, then you'll have a filling "brinner" waiting for you when you're ready to eat. A filling sausage, egg and cheese casserole breakfast casserole and make-ahead cinnamon roll casserole are two of our favorites that are super simple to make. Also, if you love the robust flavor of Asiago cheese checkout this recipe for Asiago Cheese Bread from Taste of Lizzy.
How to Make the Best Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Asiago Italian Sausage Strata: Bagels (cubed), Italian sausage, green onions, large eggs, shredded Asiago cheese, shredded Mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, ground mustard, milk and heavy cream.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish (deep), cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, large bowl, sharp knife and cutting board, whisk and rubber spatula.
- You can use mild (sweet) or spicy Italian sausage for this recipe.
- How to assemble this overnight breakfast strata: When assembling the strata, start with half of the cubed bagels, half of the crumbled sausage and half of the Asiago cheese forming the bottom layer of the dish, then repeat. Layering in this way ensures the ingredients are evenly distributed and you'll enjoy all of the flavors in each bite.
- This recipe is designed to be made with bagels. If you need to make a change, choose a bread with a similar dense texture for the best results. A hard French bread baguette would work in the same amount.
- Asiago cheese has a distinct flavor. You can substitute with Gruyere, if preferred.
- If you'd like to enjoy breakfast for dinner assemble the casserole in the morning and let it chill all day. Pop it into the oven and it's ready to go for supper.
- Store baked Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata covered with foil or plastic wrap chilled in the refrigerator. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipes to Make
- Cheesy Ham and Egg Bubble Up using frozen yeast rolls.
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole features everything we love about breakfast in every bite.
- Decadent Praline Pecan French Toast Casserole.
- White Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding uses blueberry bagels for the filling.
- Overnight Cinnamon Roll Casserole.
- Cheesy Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake is hearty and filling.
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole can be assembled in advance then covered and chilled until baking.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata
- 3 large plain bagels cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 thin green onion thinly sliced
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs beaten
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking with cooking spray. Arrange ½ of the cubed bagels over the bottom of the dish.
- Mix the Asiago cheese with the mozzarella cheese and divide in half. Place ½ into a plastic bag and into the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle ½ of the bagel cubes with ½ of the cooked sausage, ½ of the sliced green onions and ½ of the shredded cheese mixture. Repeat reserving ½ of the cheese and 2 tablespoon green onion for garnishing.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, beaten eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper and ground mustard.
- Pour the custard over the bagels and sausage. Gently press the bread into the custard. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- To prepare: Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the remaining shredded Asiago-Mozzarella cheese mixture on top. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and puffed up. Let stand on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with reserved green onion before serving..