Asiago Cheese And Italian Sausage Strata – This make ahead casserole features the robust flavor of Asiago cheese, Italian sausage and cubed bagels. The dense texture of the cubed bagels absorbs the custard beautifully and everything can be made and assembled in advance! It’s terrific not only as a time saver but for those special mornings when popping something into the oven is just what you need. The savory flavors would also make a fabulous potluck brunch dish.
When assembling the strata place half of the cubed bagels, 1/2 of the crumbled sausage and 1/2 of the Asiago cheese forming the bottom layer of the dish, then repeat. Layering in this way ensures the ingredients are evenly distributed and you’ll enjoy all of the flavors in each bite. If you’d like to enjoy “breakfast for dinner” assemble the casserole in the morning and let it chill all day. Pop it into the oven and it’s ready to go for supper. Bake it while you unwind or help the kids with homework, then you’ll have a hot meal waiting for you when you’re ready to eat.
Asiago Cheese And Italian Sausage Strata
- 3 large plain bagels cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking with cooking spray. Arrange 1/2 of the cubed bagels over the bottom of the dish.
- Mix the Asiago cheese with the mozzarella cheese and divide in half. Place 1/2 into a plastic bag and into the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the bagel cubes with 1/2 of the cooked sausage, 1/2 of the sliced green onions and 1/2 of the shredded cheese mixture. Repeat reserving 1/2 of the cheese and 2 Tbsp green onion for garnishing.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, beaten eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper and ground mustard.
- Pour the custard over the bagels and sausage. Gently press the bread into the custard. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- To prepare: Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the remaining shredded Asiago-Mozzarella cheese mixture on top. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Rest on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the top with the reserved green onion.
Cube the bagels and leave on the cutting board on the counter for a couple of hours to dry out. This will ensure the bagel cubes absorb all of the custard.