Ham And Egg Bubble Up – This amazing make ahead breakfast casserole is at the top of my list of favorites. I have several breakfast casseroles here on my website and I’m always looking for more to add. I find myself reaching for these sorts of dishes when I’m entertaining and want to get ahead in my meal preparation or if I’m taking a dish to some sort of potluck event. I was raised on family and church potlucks and they remain one of my favorite dinners to attend. I think it’s the sense of sharing with friends and neighbors and then there’s the plethora of choices allowing you to try new things and pick and choose whatever suits your fancy. I think potluck dinners must have been the original “all you can eat” buffet. Makes sense doesn’t it?
This dish isn’t only fantastic for breakfast or brunch but for “brinner” as well. While I dearly love biscuits this dish is made with those little frozen raw dinner roll bread rounds. Allow them to thaw on the counter for 20-30 minutes and then quarter each one. Layer the quartered rolls with ham, shredded cheese and pour the egg custard evenly over all. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
The baking time I include in the recipe is baking the dish from cold. Just as when baking a cake it’s important to check the center of this bubble up for doneness with a toothpick. The rolls bubble up to the top and tend to become golden and puffy while the creamy egg may take a bit longer to cook. Adjust the baking time according to how your oven performs. It’s a scrumptious one dish bubble up meal and leftovers reheat well, too.
Ham And Egg Bubble Up
- 10 frozen unbaked dinner roll rounds thawed but still cold
- 1/2 lb smoked ham cubed
- 2 cup shredded Swiss/White Cheddar/ Monterey-Jack cheese divided [Your choice of any cheese 2 cups total]
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 green onion chopped
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8 x 12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Allow the dinner rolls to thaw on the counter for 20-30 minutes. Arrange on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cubed ham over the dough quarters and sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, half & half, garlic salt, black pepper and ground mustard. Ur a large spatula to mix in the grated Parmesan cheese and sliced green onions.
- Pour the custard over the rolls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes then lay a piece of foil on top. Continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving..