Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sausage Egg And Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 8 oz cooked and crumbled spicy sausage
- 5 green onions thinly chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 8 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 [8 oz] cans crescent rolls
- 1 [6.5 oz] container light spreadable cheese [i.e. Alouette garlic & herb]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & black pepper to taste
- For the topping:
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- reheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook and crumble 1/2 pound of spicy seasoned sausage.
- Cook the sausage until no pink remains, then drain the fat away from the pan before layering in the casserole.
- In a separate skillet over medium-high heat, saute the chopped green onions in 2 Tbsp of butter, just until they're beginning to soften.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 8 eggs with 3 tablespoons of milk. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the eggs to the green onions in the pan, and lower the heat.
- Soft scramble the eggs for 2 minutes then remove from the heat. The eggs should be cooked but still soft.
- Press one can of crescent rolls onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of the baking dish. Seal the perforations in the crescent rolls as you press the dough.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the garlic and herb cheese evenly over the crust.
- Dollop the soft scrambled eggs over the cheese.
- Arrange the cooked and crumbled sausage over the scrambled eggs and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Unroll the second can of crescent rolls, and press the perforations together. Gently stretch the dough into a 9 x 13 inch rectangular shape.
- Lay the crust on top of the shredded cheese layer, and fit it to the pan, tucking it in along the edges of the dish.
- Whisk the last egg in a bowl, and using a pastry brush, brush the top of the crust. The egg wash will not only hold the Parmesan in place, it will make the top pretty and golden. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan on top.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Cut into squares, and serve hot.
The variations with this dish are endless. You could easily make this vegetarian friendly by substituting mushrooms in place of the sausage or by using a vegetarian sausage product. Want to make a creole version? Mix in 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of creole seasoning with a classic breakfast sausage while it's browning.