Published February 25th 2018 Updated December 15th 2023
This Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is a spectacular start to any day of the week. It’s filled with the classic breakfast combo of sausage, eggs and cheese that are sandwiched between a crescent roll crust. A generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top of the crust and the only thing left to do is bake it until the entire dish is gooey and golden.
Easy Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Dishes like this sausage, egg and cheese casserole takes the classic flavors we all love to eat for breakfast and presents them in a different way. I’m always amazed when something so “everyday” looks new when prepared in an unexpected way. Serve it for a hearty weekend breakfast or for a special holiday brunch. Ingredients you’ll need to make Sausage Breakfast Casserole with crescent rolls:
- Pastry – Two 8 ounce tubes of crescent rolls. You could also use the crescent rolls sheets.
- Sausage – 8 ounces of cooked and crumbled mild or spicy pork breakfast sausage.
- Eggs – 8 large eggs for the filling beaten with 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Vegetables – 5 medium green onions. You could also use chives, if desired.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted butter to cook the eggs.
- Spreadable Cheese – One 6.5 oz container of light spreadable cheese i.e. Alouette garlic and herb or Boursin cheese.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Topping: One large egg for the egg wash and grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Make the BEST Sausage Egg And Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Kitchen tools you’ll need to make Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole: Skillet, cheese grater 13 x 9 inch baking pan or dish, medium bowl, small bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, icing spatula, harp knife and cutting board.
- How to do you make Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole:
- Press one tube of crescent rolls onto the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cook and crumble the sausage and cook the scrambled eggs.
- To assemble spread the bottom crust with Alouette or Boursin cheese, top with the cooked sausage and scrambled eggs then sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the second tube of crescent roll crust on top, brush with egg wash and after sprinkling with Parmesan cheese bake until golden per the recipe.
- It’s helpful to have a baking mat to press the crescent rolls together. They won’t stick and transfer more easily.
- You could use bacon or ham for the filling in place of sausage.
- Colby jack cheese, swiss cheese or pepper jack cheese are all terrific substitutes for cheddar.
- You could also use crescent rolls sheets for the top and bottom crust.
- You can fully assemble this casserole and chill overnight prior to baking. When doing so, brush the top with butter just before baking and increase the baking time 5-10 minutes.
- The egg wash will not only hold the Parmesan in place it will make the top pretty and golden.
- Store baked Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole chilled in the refrigerator or up to 3 days.
- Reheat in single serving portions in the microwave.
More Breakfast Casseroles to Make
- Canadian Bacon Hash Brown Quiche features a shredded potato crust.
- Apple Baked Oatmeal is a delicious way to make breakfast for everyone at one time.
- Southern Grits and Greens Casserole combines two classics into one scrumptious dish.
- Praline Pecan French Toast Casserole is a decadent option for holidays and special occasions.
- Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole is drizzled with a simple blender hollandaise sauce.
- Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler is made with frozen biscuits for quick preparation.
- The kiddos will love this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza.
- Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole from Well Plated.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 8 oz cooked and crumbled mild or spicy pork breakfast sausage
- 5 medium green onions thinly chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 8 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 8 oz tubes crescent rolls
- 1 6.5 oz container light spreadable cheese [i.e. Alouette garlic and herb]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium size skillet over medium high heat cook the sausage until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from the pan. Remove from skillet and wipe skillet with paper towel.
- To the skillet over medium-high heat saute the chopped green onions in 2 Tbsp of butter, just until they're beginning to soften.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 8 eggs with 3 tablespoons of milk. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add to the onions and lower the heat to medium low.
- Soft scramble the eggs for 2 minutes then remove from the heat. The eggs should be cooked but still soft.
- Assemble: Press one can of crescent rolls onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the baking dish. Seal the perforations in the crescent rolls as you press the dough.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the garlic and herb cheese evenly over the crust. Dollop the soft scrambled eggs over the cheese.
- Arrange the cooked and crumbled sausage over the scrambled eggs and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Unroll the second can of crescent rolls, and press the perforations together. Gently stretch the dough into a 14 x 10 inch rectangular shape.
- Lay the crust on top of the shredded cheese layer, and fit it to the pan, tucking it in along the edges of the dish.
- Whisk the last egg in a bowl, and using a pastry brush to coat the top of the crust. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan on top.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes then cut into squares before cutting and serving.