This luscious Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake features cubed ham, shredded cheese and hash browns all smothered in a rich egg custard that binds it together. It can be served for breakfast, brunch or breakfast for supper, and it comes with the bonus of bringing hungry eaters running to the table.
Easy Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake Recipe
When I think of breakfast and brunch for a group I can't help but think quiche and casseroles. These are the types of dishes I typically make on special occasions when entertaining or holiday breakfasts. My Asiago Cheese and Italian Sausage Casserole is always a crowd favorite and my Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler is epic. Not because it's fancy, but quite the opposite, I think it's because it's delicious and made with easy-to-find ingredients. I mean, who doesn't love anything made with biscuits? There's love and comfort in every bite.
How to Make the Best Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake: O'Brien hash brown potatoes, cubed ham, large eggs, shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese, green onions, half and half, garlic salt, black pepper, onion powder, ground mustard nutmeg and melted butter.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A large bowl, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater, large spoon or spatula for stirring and a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- To keep this brunch bake simple I begin with frozen O'Brien potatoes. These are simply country style hash browns with green and red bell peppers and onion already in the mix making prep a cinch.
- If you're unable to find them you can easily adapt and add diced red and green bell pepper to plain classic hash browns.
- I use pepper jack cheese in this recipe. You can adapt using cheddar, Colby, mozzarella, Gruyere or any cheese you enjoy in the same amount.
- I really love the rich texture that sour cream and Greek yogurt lends to the egg custard. In a pinch, either will work.
- Bake this cheesy goodness until the top is buttery and the cheese is golden then allow a few minutes of stand time, then cut into squares and enjoy.
- Store baked Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake covered and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a 350°F covered with aluminum foil just until heated through.
More Easy Breakfast Casseroles to Make
Breakfast style meals are popular at our house any time of day. We love Sausage Gravy and Biscuits as much for supper as we do for breakfast. More delicious breakfast and brunch casserole you may also like to make:
- Skip the pastry and enjoy a potato crust in this recipe for Canadian Bacon Hash Brown Quiche.
- This overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole is bound to become a family favorite.
- Decadent Praline Pecan French Toast Casserole.
- Southern Grits and Greens Casserole make an ideal side dish for any meal.
- Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole is drizzled with an easy blender Hollandaise sauce.
- We like to drizzle this Ham and Swiss Brunch Casserole with maple syrup.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake
- 1 28 oz package frozen O'Brien Hash Brown Potatoes with Onion & Peppers thawed
- 1 lb fully cooked boneless ham steak, cubed
- 3 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese divided (Or your favorite cheese)
- 3 medium green thinly sliced green onion plus additional for garnishing
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup sour cream OR plain Greek yogurt plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon butter cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spread the frozen hash browns in a single layer on a paper towel lined sheet pan. Thaw completely then dab with another paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Arrange in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange ham over the potatoes and sprinkle with green onions and ¾ cup shredded cheese.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, half and half, sour cream (or yogurt), Parmesan, garlic salt, pepper, mustard, onion powder and nutmeg.
- Pour the custard evenly over the ingredients in dish. Top with remaining ¾ cup shredded cheese. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set when gently shaken. (Check at 45 minutes and lay foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed)
- Rest on the counter for 20 minutes, cut into squares and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions, if desired.
Made this dish, for Mother’s Day. Got rave revues. Not what I usually get,
From my cooking. Wife is happy, and got an attaboy.
That's wonderful, well done!
This sounds deliciously. One question...did you use nonfat Greek yogurt? That’s all I eat so wanted to check. Thanks!
I don't use nonfat for this recipe but, it should work.
Can you bake this in two 8x8 pans and does this freeze well?
Sure, you can. Bake, cool, wrap tightly and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat at 325°F until heated through. I usually lay foil on top, then remove it for a few minutes at the end of baking.
Thank you for responding so quickly. I made your Western Omelet Quiche twice this month. My husband and I fell in love. The custard like filling is the best I’ve ever had. Made it exactly like your recipe says. I’m going to surprise my husband with this one, he loves potatoes and wanted me to a quiche recipe with them in it. I’ll let you know how it went.
It's my pleasure, we love that quiche, too. Thanks so much for visiting!
Thanks for this recipe, Melissa! It’s my new fav! Made this last week with sausage and I shredded my own potatoes (forgot to add salt last time and it was a mistake ☺️). It was delicious! It’s difficult for me to eat something healthy and not processed in the morning because I’m too lazy to make something but this has been the perfect solution. Thank you!
Hi Hannah, I'm delighted you love this dish as much as we do. Thanks so much!
Thank you for sharing your recipe. I didn't thaw frozen O Brien hash browns. I used Hillshire Smoked Sausage, cut quarters. Cooked sausage with red onions and red bell pepper ... seasoned with black pepper.
Layer hash brown, with little cheese and green onions ... sausage mixture and cheese and green onions .... Egg mixture ( 10 eggs , 1 3/4 milk and seasonings n added paprika .... cheese ( Colby and cheddar ) .... dots of butter . after 45 min checked with knife .. a little watery . Cover with foil ... bake 10-15 min more
Very tasty ... moist
Can this be prepared the night before and then baked in the morning?
If you want to make in advance, assemble the layers in the baking dish, cover and chill without the egg custard. Then whisk together the custard and pour on top just before baking.
I did that: I cooked it for 45 minutes night before, then refrigerated it overnight. Next morning I put it in at 350 degrees for 15 minutes to reheat and finish baking. Came out perfect!!!
can,t wait to try this
I hope you like it, it's a terrific dish.
My hubby and my grandson. And I will love it we will have it sat when my hubby comes home he works out of town and weekend I cook all day and my grandson lives with us he had cancer when. We was little and I and my hubby saved his life his mom was. On drugs and the dads in jail so he is mine I guess
I hope all of you enjoy this dish it's a great choice for a weekend brunch.