This luscious Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake has the smooth flavor of a restaurant quiche with no fuss at all. The glorious custard that binds the hash browns, ham and onions together is only enhanced by the sharp flavor of copious amounts of shredded white cheddar cheese. Serve this for breakfast, brunch or “brinner” and watch hungry eaters come running to the table.
When I think of breakfast and brunch for a group I can’t help but think quiche and casseroles. These are the types of dishes I typically make on special occasions when entertaining or holiday breakfasts. My Asiago Cheese and Italian Sausage Casserole is always a crowd favorite and my Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler is epic. Not because it’s fancy but, quite the opposite, I think it’s because it’s delicious and made with easy-to-find ingredients. I mean, who doesn’t love anything made with biscuits? There’s love and comfort in every bite!
To keep this brunch bake simple I begin with frozen O’Brien potatoes. These are simply country style hash browns with green and red bell peppers and onion added so, it makes prep a cinch. If you’re unable to find them you can easily adapt and add those ingredients to plain hash browns. Also, I really love the rich texture Greek yogurt lends to the egg custard and highly recommend you use it. In a pinch, sour cream always works. Bake this cheesy goodness until the top is buttery and the cheese is golden then cut into squares and enjoy. Checkout my classic Southern Sausage Gravy with Buttermilk Biscuits here.
You may also like: Ham and Hash Brown Casserole, 20 Breakfast Casseroles You Have To Try, Cheesy Potato Casserole, Crockpot Hash Brown Casserole, Hash Brown Crusted Quiche with Sausage, Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos, and Slow Cooker Sausage Hash Brown and Cheddar Casserole.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake
- 1 28-oz frozen O'Brien Hash Brown Potatoes with Onion & Peppers, thawed
- 1 lb fully cooked boneless ham steak, cubed
- 3 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese divided (Or your favorite cheese)
- 3 green thinly sliced green onion plus additional for garnishing
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream plus additional for serving
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp butter cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Thaw the frozen hash browns completely on a paper towel. Dot with another paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Arrange in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange ham over the potatoes and sprinkle with green onion and 1/2 of the cheese.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, yogurt, Parmesan, garlic salt, pepper, mustard, onion powder and nutmeg.
- Pour the custard evenly over the ingredients in dish. top with remaining cheese. Dot with butter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set when gently shaken. (Check at 45 minutes and lay foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed)
- Rest on the counter for 20 minutes, cut into squares and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and additional sprinkle of green onion, if desired.