Cheeseburgers are as American as baseball and apple pie. This Bacon Cheeseburger Pie is a fusion dish combining everything we love about cheeseburgers in the form of a cheesy savory pie with a crispy shredded potato crust. Seasoned ground beef, crumbled bacon, ketchup, mustard, pickles and cheddar cheese are arranged over a potato crust then baked until golden. To serve, all this hearty Bacon Cheeseburger Pie needs is a simple salad and dinner is ready to go.
Grilled burgers topped with gooey cheese and served on a warm bun with all the fixins’ is one of those easy meals that everyone seems to gravitate to. Whether you top your cheeseburger with sweet onion, lettuce, juicy slices of tomato slathered with mayonnaise or make it a classic with dill pickles, mustard and ketchup it just never disappoints. Add a few strips of bacon and it’s over-the-top in texture and flavor.
I’ve read many articles quoting statistics regarding exactly how many burgers are consumed annually in the US and the exact number tends to vary. However, the statistics are always in the billions. That’s a lot of cheeseburger love. Once in awhile, I like to shake things up a little with the same familiar flavors we love but, serving them to my family in a different form. Variety is the spice of life, right? For this Bacon cheeseburger pie, I thought it would be fun to start with a shredded potato hash brown crust. The tasty filling combines classic cheeseburger toppings with lean ground beef and a few ingredients to bind it all together and of course, plenty of cheese. It’s such a delicious twist it only took serving it one time before it turned into a one dish sensation that my family loves.
You may also like: Chopped Cheeseburger Sliders, Bacon Cheeseburger Soup and Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Tortellini.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
Servings: 6 -8
- For the crust:
- 1  oz package refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- For the filling:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp steak or hamburger seasoning [more or less to your taste]
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 12 dill pickle chips pat dry with a paper towel
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Mix together the crust ingredients and press onto the bottom and the sides of the pie dish. Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- On the stove top, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and crumble. Discard all but 2 Tbsp of the pan drippings. Add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan. Season with hamburger or steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Add panko breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, 1 cup of shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Spread the filling over the hash brown crust. Arrange the dill pickles on top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until set and the edges are golden. Rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with an additional drizzle of mustard and ketchup, if desired.