This Chili Cheese Frito Pie is one of those easy to come together low stress kind of meals. It's family pleasin', fun to eat and it appeals to all ages. I know what you're thinking...fritos? Really? Yes, they make this homespun dish really tasty. Perhaps it's the corn flavor and crunch that we so enjoy with chili. A dollop of sour cream on top just before serving is a nice touch, too.
Family Pleasing Chili Cheese Frito Pie
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning Included
If you're a cook who likes to create your own spice blends, I've included a list for you to use in the Recipe Notes section. For those busy cooks who prefer a simpler approach, I've included in the recipe the amount of packaged taco seasoning as a shortcut too, the choice is completely yours. I've made this Chili Cheese Frito Pie using ground beef, ground turkey and ground chicken with outstanding results each time. It's not fancy food but, it sure is tasty and my boys love it. Other Chili dishes you may like to try is this Chili Pot Pie and Chili Cornbread Bake.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chili Cheese Frito Pie
- 3 cup shredded Colby-Jack Cheese divided
- 1 10 ¼ oz bag chili cheese fritos
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small poblano or jalapeno pepper diced seeds removed
- olive oil
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 2 lb lean ground beef turkey or chicken
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes Chili Fixins
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Shortcut Spice: [omit if using DIY spices]
- 1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3 quart baking dish or an 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour ½ of the fritos over the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the shredded cheese.
- On the stove top in a medium size pot, saute the diced onion and pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften and brown. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, kidney beans and seasonings. [see Cook's note for DIY spices] Mix well, and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chopped cilantro.
- Pour evenly over the fritos in the baking dish. Sprinkle ⅓ of the cheese on top.
- Top with the remaining fritos and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
¼ tsp lemon pepper
⅛ tsp cinnamon
⅛ tsp ground chipotle pepper