This Chili Cheese Frito Pie is one of those easy to come together low stress kind of meals. It’s family pleasin’, fun to eat and it appeals to all ages. I know what you’re thinking…fritos? Really? Yes, they make this homespun dish really tasty. Perhaps it’s the corn flavor and crunch that we so enjoy with chili. A dollop of sour cream on top just before serving is a nice touch, too.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chili Cheese Frito Pie
- 3 cup shredded Colby-Jack Cheese divided
- 1 [10 1/4] oz bag chili cheese fritos
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small poblano or jalapeno pepper diced seeds removed
- olive oil
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 2 lb lean ground beef turkey or chicken
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1  oz can tomato sauce
- 1  oz can Rotel Tomatoes Chili Fixins
- 1  oz can light red kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Shortcut Spice: [omit if using DIY spices]
- 1 [1.25] oz pkg taco seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3 quart baking dish or an 8 x 12 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/2 of the fritos over the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- On the stove top in a medium size pot, saute the diced onion and pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften and brown. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, kidney beans and seasonings. [see Cook's note for DIY spices] Mix well, and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chopped cilantro.
- Pour evenly over the fritos in the baking dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese on top.
- Top with the remaining fritos and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper