This Bacon Cheeseburger Pie recipe is a fusion dish combining everything we love about cheeseburgers in the form of a cheesy savory pie. It's built on a crispy shredded potato crust. It features seasoned ground beef, crumbled bacon, ketchup, mustard, pickles and cheddar cheese arranged over a hash brown crust then baked until golden. To serve, all this hearty Bacon Cheeseburger Pie needs is a simple salad and dinner is ready to go.
Easy Bacon Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Cheeseburgers are as American as baseball and apple pie. Grilled burgers topped with gooey cheese and served on a warm bun with all the fixins' is one of those easy meals that everyone seems to gravitate to. Whether you top your cheeseburger with sweet onion, lettuce, juicy slices of tomato slathered with mayonnaise or make it a classic with dill pickles, mustard and ketchup it just never disappoints. Add a few strips of bacon and it's over-the-top in texture and flavor.
Americans Love Bacon Cheeseburgers
I've read many articles quoting statistics regarding exactly how many burgers are consumed annually in the US and the exact number tends to vary. However, the statistics are always in the billions. That's a lot of cheeseburger love. Once in awhile, I like to shake things up a little with the same familiar flavors we love but, serving them to my family in a different form. Variety is the spice of life, right? That's how I began serving this bacon cheeseburger pie.
How to Make the Best Bacon Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
When ordering a burger, the obligatory ask about fries usually closely follows. The crust for this pie takes care of that in each bite. The tasty filling combines classic cheeseburger toppings with lean ground beef and a few ingredients to bind it all together and of course, plenty of cheese. It's such a delicious twist it only took serving it one time before it turned into a one dish sensation that my family loves.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Bacon Cheeseburger Pie: Shredded refrigerated hash brown potatoes, ground beef, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic salt, large eggs, cooked and crumbled bacon, diced onion, steak or hamburger seasoning, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, panko breadcrumbs and dill pickle chips.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A deep dish 9 inch pie pan or baking dish, a large skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a large spoon for stirring, a cheese grater and a pie cutter or sharp knife for cutting and serving.
- For this bacon cheeseburger pie, I thought it would be fun to start with a shredded potato hash brown crust so we skip the bun so to speak. It works beautifully. Refrigerated hash browns work best.
- You can adjust the amount of bacon to suit your taste.
- I use classic cheddar in this pie in keeping with a cheeseburger. You an adapt using whatever cheese you like or have on hand.
- Serve leftover Bacon Cheeseburger Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single serving portions in the microwave.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
Ground beef is versatile and can be stretched in a myriad of options to make your grocery budget go further. More Southern style recipes using ground beef you may also like to try:
- Ground Beef Stroganoff served over egg noodles can have supper on the table in a hurry.
- Mashed potato topped Cottage Pie is a one dish meal.
- Beef and Noodles Casserole is an Italian feast.
- Chili Cheese Frito Pie will take from game day to casual meals with the family.
- Teriyaki Beef Fried Rice is a tasty option to serve as a main dish or a side.
- Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes from Land O-Lakes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
Servings: 6 pieces
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 ½ lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon steak or hamburger seasoning more or less to your taste
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 12 dill pickle chips pat dry with a paper towel
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together hash browns, cheese, garlic salt, onion powder and egg.. Mix well. Press onto bottom and sides of pie dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoon drippings. Add onion to drippings, cooking for 2-3 minutes over medium-high until translucent. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add ground beef cooking until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from the pan. Season with hamburger or steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Add panko breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, 1 cup of shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Spread filling over hash brown crust. Arrange dill pickles on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set and edges are golden. Rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with an additional drizzle of mustard and ketchup, if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 547kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 225mg | Sodium: 1372mg | Potassium: 715mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 848IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 475mg | Iron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
WOW ! OMG ! This is awesome for our tonight dinner ! My husband is going to take as his lunch,too !!
Thank you so much for easy and very tasty meal recipe !!
Glad you enjoyed this one!
Thank you for this recipe! It tasted so delicious and will definitely be on repeat at our house!
There are a lot of bacon cheeseburger pie recipes out there, but they all seem too bland. Not this one. So flavorful and yummy!
I'm so happy you enjoyed it, thanks!
Can this be made ahead, refrigerated, and served later? Better yet, is the recipe freezer friendly?
You can reheat this pie, but the potato crust may lose it's crispy edges and bottom. If that doesn't bother you then yes, you could freeze it, too.
Tried this receipe tonite and i got no left overs.It is a favourite in this house.
I am gonna try and omit the panko to make it gluten free. I really think it will be ok without a substitute. I may substitute crushed GF oats.
I made this tonight and my family loved it! I will be making it again. Thanks for another great recipe!
Wonderful, that makes me happy. Thanks for letting me know!
I am going to try this recipe tomorrow. I was looking for an easy tasty,hearty dish and I think this is it!! Can't wait to try it!
Now you've got me! Love breakfast food and this sounds absolutely scrumptious!
Can you omit the eggs in the filling??
The eggs serve as a binder for this dish. I haven't made it without them but it's worth a try. I can't attest to the results first hand, though.
I remember my mom making this when I was a kid, didn't gate anything like this....YUM, YUM
I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!
Hi Nikki, welcome! I love your idea, thanks for stopping by.
I'm making this tonight... But into a pizza! Same crust and everything! Found you on FB as you're Foodista's blog of the day!
I made this tonight. It was a big hit. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Leah, thanks! Yes, you can make it in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, doubling the ingredients. You may even be able to 1 1/2 the recipe depending on the appetites of those you're serving. When doubling a recipe, yes, you may have to adjust the cooking amount to bake the pie slightly longer. The edges should be golden and crisp and the center heated through. Hope this helps!
This looks great! Can you make it as a 9x13?
Would you just double the ingredients? Is there a need to adjust cook time?
Hi Melissa, thank you so much for all your deish recipes! I love them! Here in Europe there are some ingredients which we cannot get and one which keeps popping up is hash browns. Could I substitute plain mashed potatoe or is there a special way to make it? many thanks, Pauline Butler from Ireland, living in Spain.
Hi Pauline, thanks so much for visiting from beautiful Spain! Shredded hashbrowns are partially almost completely cooked plain potatoes that have been shredded. In the case of these, I actually seasoned them in the recipe. You can bake potatoes, cool and then use a box grater to shred, or boil, cool and shred. Hope this helps!
I know what you mean. I worked on this one until it was just right. Sure hope you like it!
I have seen many recipes on the internet for Cheeseburger Pie, never took the time to check the recipe out. Didn't think it would be something I would make. Well, after seeing that picture I had to read on. Looks delicious and I believe I will be trying this one. Thanks for sharing.
Hey Melissa! Thank you and super simple, too. ☺
Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books
Oh my!! =)
This recipe looks ((so)) good!!
Thanks for sharing!