These big and juicy Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions are just the kind of burger that will bring the family running to the table every time.
Easy Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions Recipe
It's no secret Americans love a burger! My family is no exception and we have them weekly at our house. Whether they're grilled, filled with flavorful mix-ins, pan fried or broiled my family is always down for a big burger for supper. This recipe includes a bonus addition of sweet onions to pile on top that feature a sweet Coca Cola infused flavor. They're a delectable addition to a favorite bacon cheeseburger combination.
How to Make the Best Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions Recipe
The onions are sweet and caramelized with a hint of unique flavor from the coke. They are not overwhelmingly Coke flavored but it has a hint of something that will make your guests go, what is that?!
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions: 85/15 OR 80/20 ground beef, barbecue sauce, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, black pepper, sliced cheese and toasted brioche buns. You'll also need tomatoes, lettuce and condiments for serving.
- To make the Coca Cola Onions you'll need: 4 large onions, sliced thin, bacon drippings from cooking the bacon, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes plus 1 cup of Coca Cola.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A grill or indoor grill pan for cooking, a large skillet for cooking the bacon and onions. a sharp knife and cutting board, a turning spatula, mixing bowl and measuring cups and spoons.
- We like to use thick cut bacon for a delicious bacon flavor, but you can use classic bacon or omit altogether, if you want to cut a few calories. If you omit the bacon, use vegetable oil or olive oil to cook the onions.
- The sauteed Coca Cola onions are so delicious, you may not need any other condiments. If you love sauce you can certainly dress the cheeseburgers to suit your taste. Add more barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, ranch, honey mustard, ketchup, A1 sauce, or mustard or ANY sauces you and your family enjoy.
- Other yummy cheese options you might like: American, white cheddar, pepper jack, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Fontina or fancy smancy Gruyere.
- The addition of barbecue sauce to the burger mix makes it slightly sweet and addictive. It does lend a tender texture to the hamburger patties so take care when turning them on the grill so they don’t fall apart. You can also cook them in a skillet on the stove or air fry them.
- To take your burger over the top, try adding sliced avocado, pickles, jalapenos, or a fried egg.
- Store the ingredients separately for any leftovers for up to 3 days. Reheat the burger gently in the microwave, in an air fryer or under the broiler in the oven just until warmed. Reheat the onions in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
- Freeze any leftover Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions for up to 3 months.
More Southern Style Burger Recipes to Make
Sometimes, we grill a classic burger and at times we skip the buns and enjoy the same flavors in another way. More burger recipes you may like to try:
- Delicious homemade Bison Burger Recipe works equally well with ground venison.
- These cheesy little Cheeseburger Bites are party ready.
- Black and Bleu Burgers features crumbled bleu cheese and sweet balsamic onions.
- When you're in a hurry, you can make juicy Air Fryer Hamburgers in no time flat.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crescent Ring skips the hamburger buns for a slice and serve twist.
- Turkey Burger from Lauren's Latest.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Cheeseburgers with Coca Cola Onions
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- Coca Cola Onions:
- 4 medium-large sweet onions i.e. Vidalia or similar
- 2 tablespoon bacon drippings OR olive oil
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- Bacon Cheeseburgers:
- 2 lbs ground beef (85/15 OR 80/20)
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce i.e. Sweet Baby Ray's or your favorite
- 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 brioche buns buttered and toasted or grilled
- toppings: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and condiments for serving
- To make onions: Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large 12 inch skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserve drippings in skillet.
- Slice onions into ¼ inch rounds discarding the root and skin. Separate the rings and add to bacon drippings (or olive oil) in skillet. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, mix well.
- Cook onions uncovered over medium heat stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until the onions are translucent and starting to soften.
- Add the Coca-Cola to the skillet and stir to combine. Continue to cook over medium-low heat uncovered for an additional 20-30 minutes or until softened, caramelized and browned. Most of the liquid should be cooked out. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make burgers: Meanwhile, make the burgers. In a mixing bowl, use hands to mix together ground beef, bbq sauce, seasoned salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 even patties. Press centers to indent. (this helps prevent them from rising in the middle while cooking.) Place onto a sheet pan and chill until grilling.
- To cook: Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Oil grates. Once hot, cook burgers for around 5-8 minutes on the first side, flip them over and continue to cook until your desired doneness or temperature is reached. Do not overcook. (165°F = well done) Top with a slice of cheese in the last few minutes of grilling, then remove to a platter.
- Build burgers on toasted brioche buns with bacon, tomato slices, lettuce and dressed with your favorite condiments.
- Top with caramelized Coca Cola onions and top bun then serve immediately.