These winning Cheeseburger Bites are a riff on classic cheeseburgers. They're made using frozen bread dough, stuffed with a flavorful cheeseburger filling. Skip the bun, and enjoy these mini treats for casual meals and game day snacks.
America Loves Cheeseburgers
Hamburgers are believed to have originated from the seaport town of Hamburg Germany in the 19th century, hence the name. According to the USDA, they made their first appearance in the US at the St. Louis Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904. The rest as they say, is history. Americans love hamburgers. The addition of cheese in any and every flavor, makes all things cheeseburger one of the most commonly consumed entrees every day of the year. It's fun to take those same classic flavors and recreate them to enjoy in an unexpected way.
Helpful Tips for Making Mini Cheeseburger Bites
- These cheeseburger bites skip the bun utilizing frozen dinner roll dough, instead. It's important not to bring the dough completely to room temperature. Allow time for it to thaw enough to flatten but, before they begin to rise.
- Please note, it's imperative that you use a quality and flavorful seasoning for the beef. A bland end product is the direct result of the kind of seasoning you choose to use. You can always taste, and adjust the amount to your personal preference.
- The ground beef can be cooked one day in advance for a timesaver. Place into an airtight container and chill.
- You can also assemble the entire filling in advance and store chilled. Before doing so, allow the cooked beef to cool so that the cheddar cheese will maintain its integrity and melt while baking.
- I highly recommend whipping up a batch of Special Burger Sauce for dipping. This can also be done in advance, and in fact, tastes even better when given ample time for the flavors to marry.
Other Cheeseburger Inspired Dishes to Try
While there's nothing better than a juicy burger straight from the grill, these recipes give you other ways to enjoy the same flavors.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crescent Ring
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza
All of these cheeseburger inspired recipes are some of the many fan favorites that can be found in the Recipe Index here on Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 30 frozen dinner roll dough thawed but, still cold
- 1 ¼ lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- olive oil
- 1 Tbsp hamburger or steak seasoning (a mixture of garlic, onion. pepper and salt)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup chopped dill pickles
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp cold water
- sesame seeds
- Arrange frozen dinner rolls on a wax paper lined baking sheet without touching. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let sit for 1 hour or just until thawed but, still cold.
- Meanwhile, In a large 12 inch skillet, cook ground beef and onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the beef add steak seasoning, salt and worcestershire sauce. Mix well, cook for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning amounts to taste. Remove from heat and cool completely. (This can be done in advance for a timesaver.)
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To the cooked ground beef add, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pickles, ketchup and mustard, Mix until fully combined.
- Flatten each dough round into roughly a 2 ½ -3 inch circle. Place 1 Tbsp filling in the center. Tightly pinch dough up around filling to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Whisk egg with water then brush tops and sides of dough, sprinkling tops with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately with special burger sauce for dipping.