This juicy Bison Burger Recipe is a delicious option to add to your grilling menu. They're filled with a tasty blend of seasonings and can be dressed to suit your fancy.
Easy Bison Burger Recipe
Ground bison is flavorful and provides a delicious alternative to ground beef. You can use it the same way in recipes matching it pound for pound with ground beef, ground chicken or turkey. The rich beautiful flavor is a sure way to amp up your burger menu and this recipe demonstrates how to grill it outside or you can make it in a grill pan or cast iron skillet on the stovetop.
How to Make the Best Bison Burger Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make this homemade Bison Burger recipe: 2 pounds of ground bison, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper. minced garlic, minced shallot, onion powder plus thick slices of cheese for the tops.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A medium size mixing bowl, sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons plus a platter for resting the burgers once grilled.
- The patties for this recipe are made free form by hand. If you have a burger press by all means use it! It's important that you adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the patties so regardless that's the main consideration.
- Bison is lean with a distinctive flavor that makes it so delicious. The seasonings in the recipe are meant to enhance and not overpower. You can adjust the amounts as you wish.
- In the event you don't have shallots on hand, you could use red onion instead. The key to this ingredient is that it's finely diced. It's meant to enhance the flavor of the meat and needs to be finely chopped in order to do so.
- You can use teriyaki sauce or soy sauce in place of Worcestershire sauce. You could even use steak sauce such as A1 or similar.
- You can cook these burgers to suit your taste. The USDA recommends cooking ground bison until it reaches 160°F internal temperature and no less than 145°F for medium rare.
- Top these Bison burgers with a thick slice of cheddar, colby jack, pepper jack, havarti cheese or any flavor of cheese that you enjoy.
- Dress these bison burgers with sliced tomato, lettuce, thinly sliced raw onion, grilled or sauteed onions and mushrooms, pickles, avocado, bacon, pimento cheese, fried egg, onion rings or whip up a batch of my bacon jam. Basically, whatever your heart desires will be perfectly delicious on bison burgers.
- Don't forget the condiments, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, garlic aioli, guacamole or a drizzle of my Special Burger Sauce would do nicely, the sky's the limit. If you can dream it you can make it!
- Side dishes to serve with Bison Burger: Crispy fried Onion Strings, chunky oven fried Crispy Baked Potato Wedges or you may also like my recipe for Sweet Potato Fries made in the oven.
More Southern Style Burger Recipes to Make
I'd be hard pressed to think of a day when my family wouldn't be happy to see a stack of freshly grilled burgers ready to eat. More burger recipes you may also like to try:
- Skip the buns and enjoy this potato crusted Bacon Cheeseburger Pie for supper.
- Air Fryer Hamburgers cook in a jiffy with easy clean-up.
- Flavorful Black and Bleu Burgers recipe that's better than a restaurant.
- Hamburger Steak and mashed potatoes is country comfort food 101.
- Smokehouse Bacon Cheeseburgers come with a simple barbecue mayonnaise to drizzle on top.
- Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps from Life in the Lofthouse.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bison Burger Recipe
- 2 lb ground bison
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce OR steak sauce
- ½ teaspoon Dijon
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt OR plain salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium shallot finely diced
- 2-3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 6 slices yellow or white cheddar, pepper jack, colby jack, gouda or mozzarella cheese
- olive oil and butter for frying (omit if grilling)
- 6 kaiser rolls, buttered and grilled or toasted under the oven broiler
- Suggested Toppings: Tomatoes, lettuce or arugala, thinly sliced onion, pickles, avocado slices, jalapenos, bread and butter pickles, pimento cheese, bacon, sauteed mushrooms. bacon jam
- In a large bowl, mix together bison, Worcestershire, seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, shallot and garlic until evenly distributed.
- Divide into 6 equal portions. (Sprinkle each side lightly with additional seasoned salt just before cooking)
- Grilling instructions: Heat grill to 400°F. Brush grates with oil. Grill burgers 4-6 minutes per side flipping once or until internal temperature reaches 160-165°F. Add cheese to each burger in last 2 minutes of grilling. Remove to a platter and rest for 5 minutes.
- Stovetop instructions: Heat 2 tablespoon oil plus 1 tablespoon butter in a 12 cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Add patties, lower heat to medium high. Cook patties without crowding the pan for 4-6 minutes per side over medium high heat or until internal temperature reaches 160-165°F. Add cheese slices to each burger in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove to a platter. Set aside. (If cooking in batches, repeat adding 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet) Remove to a platter and rest for 5 minutes.
- Butter and toast kaiser rolls or hamburger buns. Dress bison burger with your favorite toppings.