Originally published October 5th 2011 Updated June 16th 2021
Restaurant Quality Black and Bleu Burgers You Can Make at Home
Black and Bleu Burger with Caramelized Onions
- Mix the burgers up in advance and let them chill for a bit to allow the flavors to marry.
- You can grill these burgers over gas, charcoal or on a grill pan indoors. The same cooking time applies, and you can always utilize an instant read thermometer to cook to your desired level of doneness.
- You may enjoy a drizzle of Special Burger Sauce to take these burgers to another level.
Other Burger Recipes to Try
Other than an all American cheeseburger, we have many burger variations that we love to make. A few mentions that can be found in the MSSK recipe index:
- Smokehouse Bacon Cheeseburgers embellished with bacon and barbecue sauce
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crescent Ring using crescent rolls as the bun
- Open Faced Mushroom and Onion Steakburgers made in the oven
- You may also like this recipe for Smash Burgers from The Food Charlatan
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Black and Blue Burgers
- 1 lb ground sirloin [90/10]
- 1 lb ground chuck [85/15]
- 6 oz blue cheese crumbles (plus additional for serving)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce or steak sauce
- 1 ½ tsp blackened seasoning blend plus additional for seasoning prior to grilling [i.e. Zatarain's]
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Caramelized Onions:
- 1 jumbo sweet onion i.e. Vidalia
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To serve:
- Toasted buns and additional toppings such as lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise as desired for serving
- Place ground sirloin, ground chuck, bleu cheese, water, Worcestershire sauce, blackened seasoning and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix using your hands then form into ¾ inch thick patties. Refrigerate on a platter covered with plastic wrap for 1-2 hours prior to grilling.
- To prepare: Oil the grates of the grill and heat the grill to medium-high. Remove burgers from fridge 15 minutes prior to grilling. Season liberally on both sides with additional blackened seasoning.
- Place burgers on grill cooking to your desired level of doneness. For medium about 4 minutes on each side. For well done, around 6 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Depending on the thickness of burgers.
- To make the onions: Meanwhile, in a stove top pan, heat vegetable or olive oil with onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until they start to brown. Add balsamic vinegar, mix well. Keep warm until assembling burgers.
- To assemble: Divide onions and additional bleu cheese crumbles evenly between burgers.
- Serve on toasted buns with additional toppings of choice.