Baked Bacon Egg And Cheese Bread Boat – This breakfast bread boat filled with bacon crumbles, eggs, cheese, bell peppers and green onion is spectacular. The sky is the limit with variations as you can imagine, and the choice of ingredients such as cheese is completely up to you. For these types of dishes, I tend to use an inexpensive cheese that I have on hand. There’s always colby-jack, mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese in my dairy drawer. Always.
The Italian loaf that I used for this bread boat was in a bargain bin today at my local market. It was only pennies compared to the regular pricing and since I was making “breakfast for dinner” and planning on using it immediately it was perfect timing and budget friendly, too. When hollowing out the loaf be careful not to remove too much of the interior or it will compromise the stability of the loaf when you add the filling. I like using a fat fluffy Italian loaf allowing me to make wide slices across and then cutting it through the middle to stretch it just a little further and make more servings. This loaf was around 6-inches wide and 14-inches long. The servings can vary depending on the shape and length of the bread used.
The first time I made this the “oohs” and “aahs” confirmed the flavor combo was a winner. No utensils are needed just pick a piece or two, and enjoy. I mean you gotta love anything that allows you to eat the bowl, right? You can gently reheat leftovers in the microwave as well. If you have any leftovers. I serve this for breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner any day of the week.
You may also like: Bundt Pan Bacon Egg and Cheese Brunch Bread
Baked Bacon Egg And Cheese Bread Boat
- 1  lb Italian bread loaf
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 green onion sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup shredded colby-jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a standard cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Hollow out the center of the Italian loaf leaving at least 1-inch on each side and the bottom. Freeze the bread removed from the center and use for another dish. Place the hollowed out loaf onto the parchment. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat melt 1 Tbsp butter. Add the diced peppers and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add the sliced green onion. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook for 1 minute then remove from the pan to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper until light and fluffy. Adjust the amount of salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Mix in 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese, cooked peppers and onion and crumbled bacon by hand.
- Pour into the hollowed out bread loaf. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
Using a larger loaf? Increase to 10 large eggs and 3/4 cup heavy cream then proceed with the recipe as written.