Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler was named by my sons when they were younger and we loved it so much it stuck. Sausage, biscuits, eggs and cheese are a classic combination that shine in this delicious make-ahead casserole.
Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler
It's probably apparent by the title that my little cowboys helped name this breakfast cobbler casserole. In it, I use a spicy sausage that will most definitely put a spring in your step to start your day or make a tasty addition to your "breakfast for dinner" menu. If you prefer a more gentle awakening, you can, of course, substitute the same amount with a milder breakfast sausage. I've made this dish using all eggs, and also a mixture of whole eggs and egg substitute, with equally delicious results. All the things you love for breakfast, served in a casserole.
Tips for Success and Variations
This super simple breakfast cobbler can be adapted in many ways.
- You can make your own biscuits for this dish using my Southern Buttermilk Biscuits recipe if you prefer. That said, this dish was designed to keep things simple so, there's no need to fuss too much.
- This recipe can also be adapted using canned biscuits. Each adaptation will change the dish a bit but, it will still work.
- You may use mild or spicy sausage simply adapt to your preference.
- You may use half whole eggs and half egg beaters or similar egg white product.
- You can use any flavor of cheese you like, or have on hand, in the same amount.
- This dish can be assembled and chilled overnight. When doing so allow to sit on the counter for 15 minutes prior to baking.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Giddy Up And Go Breakfast Cobbler
- 1 lb spicy sausage cooked & crumbled
- 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits thawed and quartered
- 12 large eggs OR 2 cups egg whites plus 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded triple cheddar cheese divided
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 12 x 8 inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, chives, salt, onion powder, pepper, mustard and garlic powder.
- Arrange the biscuit quarters in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Layer the cooked sausage on top
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over all. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and dot with butter. Cover and chill if making in advance.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffy and golden.
- Test the center with a toothpick checking for moist crumbs before removing from the oven.
- Rest for 5 minutes then cut and serve.