Giddy Up And Go Breakfast Cobbler – It’s probably apparent by the title that my little cowboys helped name this breakfast cobbler casserole. In it, I use a spicy sausage that will most definitely put a spring in your step to start your day or make a tasty addition to your “breakfast for dinner” menu.
If you prefer a more gentle awakening, you can, of course, substitute the same amount with a milder breakfast sausage. I’ve made this dish using all eggs, and also a mixture of whole eggs and egg substitute, with equally delicious results. All the things you love for breakfast, served in a casserole.
Giddy Up And Go Breakfast Cobbler
- 1 lb spicy sausage cooked & crumbled
- 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits thawed [or homemade Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits]
- 2 cups egg whites plus 4 large eggs OR 12 large eggs
- 1/3 cup half & half
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper [or to your taste]
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded triple cheddar cheese divided
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 8 x 12 inch baking dish with butter cooking spray.
- Cook and crumble the sausage. Darin well, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Quarter the biscuits.
- Whisk together, the eggs, half & half and seasonings. Add the chopped chives.
- Arrange the biscuit quarters in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese.
- Layer the cooked sausage on top
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over all. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and dot with butter.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffy and golden.
- Test the center with a toothpick checking for moist crumbs before removing from the oven.
- Rest for 5 minutes then cut and serve.