Turn one of those inexpensive loaves of bread at the grocery store bakery into this gooey Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread. You can make this delectable bread in the oven or on a grill.
Cheesy Garlic Herb Bread in the Oven or Grill
I can't think of many meals where a side of bread isn't the ideal accompaniment. At our house, bread doubles as a scoop for dips and sauces as well as dipping in soups and stews. Italian dishes go hand in glove with a side salad and bread to sop up the sauce. In this instance, you can serve this bread straight from the oven or wrapped in foil ands grilled outside or when camping.
Helpful Tips to Make Baked or Grilled Cheesy Garlic Herb Bread
- The combination of herbs I use in this bread is the classic trio of parsley, basil and rosemary.
- The garlic herb butter can be made one day in advance, placed into an airtight container and chilled until assembling the bread.
- You can use chives in place of parsley or basil, in a pinch.
- Rosemary has a very robust flavor so, you can adjust the amount to your taste, if desired.
- This bread can be assembled in advance, wrapped in foil and chilled until you're ready to bake or grill.
- Provolone is my go to for this recipe. Mozzarella works well, too.
- Use one full slice of cheese cut in half for each slice. It's easier to stuff between the slices when cut in half.
- You may also like my recipes for pull apart Mozzarella Cheese Garlic Bread, Pepper Jack Cheese Bread and 3 Cheese Italian Herb Bread.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Keto Cornbread from All Day I Dream About Food.
Grilling Instructions for Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread
- Heat gas grill to medium-low or a charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Push coals to one side of charcoal grill.
- Prepare the bread per the recipe wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil. This can be done in advance and chilled until making.
- Place foil wrapped bread opposite heat on grill. Close lid grilling for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread
- 1 12 inch loaf French bread
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside a baking sheet. Prepare a large piece of heavy duty foil, Spritzed lightly with cooking spray.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 12 diagonal slices through bread without cutting all the way to the bottom. (Yield may be less depending on length of bread)
- In a small bowl, whip together butter, Parmesan, parsley, basil, rosemary and salt.
- Spread each slice with garlic and herb butter reserving 1 Tbsp to spread on top. Place two half pieces of cheese into each cut. Spread remaining garlic and herb butter over top and sides of loaf.
- Place onto foil and bring edges up to seal. Place onto baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty. Open foil and broil top, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Heat gas grill to medium-low or a charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Place coals to one side of charcoal grill.
- Prepare the bread per the recipe wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place opposite heat on grill. Close lid; grill 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- Serve immediately.