This Beef Tamale Pie features a savory ground beef filling that's perfectly complemented by the sweet green chile cornbread topping. It's sure to become a favorite one dish meal.
Beef Tamale Pie Makes a One Dish Fiesta
Busy days call for satisfying meals and simple preparation. This casserole is the kind of dish I gravitate to on a busy weekday since the filling can be prepared in advance then topped with the green chile cornbread topping just before baking.
- The spice in the beef filling can be adjusted making it hot or mild based on your personal preference.
- It can be served just as is, or topped with shredded lettuce, sour cream, sliced olives and pico de gallo for the crowning touch. Everyone tops it to their liking then dinner is served in one fell swoop.
- The savory filling is perfectly complimented by the sweet green chili cornbread topping. It makes for a delicious and stress-free weekday or any day fiesta.
Tamale Pie and More Ground Beef Casseroles to Add to the Menu
I just can't help myself I simply adore casseroles. Not just any casserole, but ones like this ground beef filled tamale pie that combine some of our most favorite flavors into one mouthwatering meal. More casserole recipes to try:
- Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole
- Beef and Noodles Casserole
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole from Spaceships and Laser Beams
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Beef Tamale Pie
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning
- 1 10 oz can diced hot or mild Rotel tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 11 oz can Mexican corn well drained
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese divided
- Green Chile Cornbread Topping:
- 2 8.5 oz boxes cornbread mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 Tbsp diced canned green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 8 x 12 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and red bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 3 minutes until they soften and begin to brown. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the ground beef. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Cook until no pink remains in the ground beef and then drain any excess fat from the pan.
- To the pan add the Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the Mexican corn and cilantro. Mix well then remove from the heat.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1¼ cups of shredded Colby-Jack cheese.
- Green Chili Cornbread Topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both packages of cornbread mix, buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and green chili peppers. Stir in ¾ cup Colby-Jack cheese. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Rest for 5 minutes then serve.