This Beef Tamale Pie features a savory ground beef filling that’s perfectly complemented by the sweet green chile cornbread topping. It’s sure to become a favorite one dish meal.
Easy Beef Tamale Pie Recipe
Busy days call for satisfying meals and simple preparation. This casserole is the kind of dish I gravitate to on a busy weekday since the filling can be prepared in advance then topped with the green chile cornbread topping just before baking. You can serve this casserole just as is, or topped with shredded lettuce, sour cream, sliced olives and pico de gallo for the crowning touch. Everyone tops it to their liking then dinner is served in one fell swoop. The savory filling is perfectly complemented by the sweet green chili cornbread topping. It makes for a delicious and stress-free weekday or any day fiesta. Ho to make cornbread topped Beef Tamale Pie: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Ground Beef Filling – In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and red bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Add garlic and ground beef cooking until no pink remains in the ground beef. Drain fat from the pan.
- Sauce – Add the Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix-ins – Add the Mexican corn and cilantro. Mix well then pour into the baking dish and top with Colby-Jack cheese.
- Green Chili Cornbread Topping – Whisk together both packages of cornbread mix with the buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and green chili peppers. Stir in ¾ cup Colby-Jack cheese. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Bake – Bake in a preheated 375°F oven per the recipe.
How to Make the BEST Beef Tamale Pie Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Beef Tamale Pie: To make the filling you’ll need 1 pounds ground beef, olive oil, onion, taco seasoning, red bell pepper, garlic, Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, Mexican corn, cilantro and shredded colby jack cheese.
- For the Cornbread topping you’ll need: Two boxes cornbread mix (i.e. Martha White or similar) canned green chiles, buttermilk, large egg.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater, sharp knife and cutting board, 13 x 9 inch pan and large skillet.
- The spice in the beef filling can be adjusted making it hot or mild based on your personal preference.
- You can use shredded pepper jack cheese or shredded cheddar cheese in this recipe.
- You can use mild, medium or hot Rotel tomatoes depending on your preference.
- You can use ground pork, turkey or chicken in this tamale pie.
- You can use canned or frozen Mexican corn. When using frozen, it should be thawed prior to adding to the filling mixture.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, guacamole, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo, sour cream and diced avocado.
- Store baked Beef Tamale Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a 350°F oven with foil on top, just until it’s heated through.
More Ground Beef Casseroles to Make
I just can’t help myself I simply adore casseroles. Not just any casserole, but ones like this ground beef filled tamale pie that combine some of our most favorite flavors into one mouthwatering meal. More casserole recipes to try:
- This Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole is a one dish meal.
- Make it an Italian night with this Beef and Noodles Casserole
- This Stuffed Pepper Casserole features all of the flavors of stuffed peppers in casserole form.
- One pot Beef Goulash.
- Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole is packed with flavor.
- Rich and hearty Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole.
- Hamburger Casserole from Spaceships and Laser Beams.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Beef Tamale Pie
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning
- 1 10 oz can diced hot or mild Rotel tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 11 oz can Mexican corn well drained
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese divided
- Green Chile Cornbread Topping:
- 2 8.5 oz boxes cornbread mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 Tbsp diced canned green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and red bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 3 minutes until they soften and begin to brown. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the ground beef. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Cook until no pink remains in the ground beef and then drain any excess fat from the pan.
- To the pan add the Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the Mexican corn and cilantro. Mix well.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1¼ cups of shredded Colby-Jack cheese.
- Green Chili Cornbread Topping: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both packages of cornbread mix, buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and green chili peppers. Stir in ¾ cup Colby-Jack cheese. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes back clean. Rest for 5 minutes then serve.