There just isn’t a party at our house without a big bowl of Fresh Guacamole on the table. We consider guacamole paramount to a successful fiesta any night of the week. Firm ripe avocados, diced red onion, tomato, peppers, a touch of Mexican oregano and a few other seasonings to add depth of flavor are all smashed together then finished with tangy fresh lime juice. It’s the beginning of festive eats, and a must have appetizer to serve no matter the overall theme of the event.
Tips For Keeping Fresh Guacamole Fresh
When it comes to working with fresh avocados, the most common question is; how do you keep the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown? Short answer is, it can be a bit tricky but, it’s certainly not impossible. If you need to prepare it 2 hours or so in advance, truth is, it should be perfectly fine. Lime juice mixed in with the mashed avocado really helps by bringing acidity to the guacamole adding flavor and keeping it nice and green.
A friend from Arizona gave me an interesting tip. She recommends mixing two or three pits into the prepared guacamole before placing it into a container for storing. She says this will also help keep the guacamole from oxidizing. One other method is, to pour it into a storage container then press plastic wrap onto the top, then seal it tightly with a lid. You can then chill it, or leave at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Remove the pits before serving, of course, then stir well. It’s ready to be enjoyed with tortilla chips or as a condiment for taco salads, carnitas, tacos, enchiladas and beyond. If you’d like to serve this goodness with fiesta food check out my Parade articles featuring Beyond Tacos 25 Dishes For Your Next Fiesta and to go with it 25 Creative Ways To Top Nachos .
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 5 medium ripe avocados
- 1 lime juiced [2 Tbsp lime juice]
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes small diced
- 1/3 cup red onion small diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium serrano chili or jalapeno pepper seeds removed, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- few dashes hot sauce
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop the avocado flesh into a mixing bowl, reserving 3 pits, set aside.
- Use a fork or a potato masher to mash until the avocado is chunky smooth. Immediately add the lime juice.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Mix 3 reserved pits into the guacamole, press plastic wrap on top, then store tightly sealed until serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips or vegetables for dipping.