Easy Blueberry Lime Buttermilk Muffins Recipe
What is Turbinado Sugar?
Turbinado sugar, or raw sugar, is found at every coffee bar under the sun. It sits there in tiny packets just waiting to be stirred into a latte or sprinkled over a bowl of oatmeal. It comes from the first pressing of the sugar cane hence the reason it retains some of the plants flavor and natural molasses. It’s a cousin to brown sugar but, in its raw form it serves as a beautiful and flavorful embellishment for baked goods like these muffins. The crunchy turbinado sugar on top adds a superb texture without going to the trouble of a glaze or streusel topping. Just for fun, I decided to mix white chocolate chips into the batter but, this is completely optional if you’d like to leave them out. White chocolate, lime zest and blueberries make a great start to any day.
How to Make the BEST Blueberry Lime Buttermilk Muffins Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Blueberry Lime Buttermilk Muffins: Self rising flour, fresh blueberries, granulated sugar, buttermilk, large eggs, vanilla extract, white chocolate baking chips, lime zest, baking powder and turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw).
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large bowl, medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, large nonstick silicone spatula or spoon, 12 cup standard muffin pan
- When cleaning the blueberries, spread them out onto paper towels to dry thoroughly before tossing with flour and adding to the batter.
- Expect some of the berries to burst while baking. This is completely normal and adds to the flavor of the homemade batter.
- You could use lemon zest in the same amount, if that’s your preference.
- How do you make your own buttermilk? To each one cup of whole milk add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (you could use lime in this instance) or white distilled vinegar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then stir and proceed with the recipe.
- Store Blueberry Lime Buttermilk Muffins in an airtight container chilled for up to 4 days.
More Blueberry Recipes to Make
- Almond Blueberry Yogurt Bread is filled with sweet blueberries.
- Scratch made Blueberry Pie can be served at room temperature with whipped cream or slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Start your day with a piece of this Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake.
- Stunning Blueberry Lemon Trifle.
- Warm and juicy Blueberry Crisp.
- If you’re unable to get fresh blueberries, try these Blueberry Buttermilk Scones using dried blueberries instead.
- Blueberry Pie Bars from Averie Cooks.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Lime Buttermilk Muffins
- 1 cup blueberries washed and dried
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups self rising flour plus 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2-2 Tbsp grated lime zest divided
- turbinado sugar to sprinkle on the tops
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Wash and dry the blueberries and toss with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold white chocolate chips, blueberries and 1 1/2 tablespoons of lime zest by hand. Reserve a small amount for the tops.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter between the cupcake liners. Bounce the pan on the counter a couple of times to settle the batter.
- Sprinkle the tops with additional zest and turbinado sugar.
- Place into the oven and bake for 22-24 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.