This Braised Cabbage with Potatoes and Smoked Sausages is the kind of down home dish that's tummy filling and simple to prepare. Sweet green cabbage is braised in bacon drippings then cooked with slices of smoked sausage and tender Yukon Gold potatoes. This braised cabbage is just the kind of skillet meal you make not because it's fancy, but because it's just good eating.
Braised Cabbage with Potatoes and Smoked Sausages
This braised cabbage skillet is the kind of dish that my Mom and Gramma's would make. They would certainly have started with homegrown cabbage braised with their favorite seasoning of choice, smoked bacon. It makes a great main dish accompaniment to a pan of buttered cornbread or a bowl of pinto beans, or both. It's filled with the comforting downhome flavors that we've all come to love.
Braised Cabbage with Potatoes is a Budget Friendly Main Dish
Cabbage is often overlooked when it comes to a great option for a main course meal. It' inexpensive and filling, a terrific combination. When serving this braised cabbage, the amount of servings can vary depending on the appetites of those you're serving. As a rule of thumb, as a side dish you may yield 6 servings and as a main dish 3-4. It proves that food doesn't have to be fancy or expensive to be good and family pleasing. I would put this dish in the category of honest eats, that satisfy the soul. Another classic cabbage dish you may like is this Cabbage Roll Casserole from Comfortable Food.
More Cabbage Recipes to Add to the Menu
We're big fans of cabbage at our house and I make it often for our meals.
- Low Carb Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls take the fuss out of rolling classic cabbage rolls
- Hearty Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples
- Homemade Southern Chow Chow for pinto beans, hot dogs and more
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Braised Cabbage With Potatoes And Smoked Sausages
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 slices thick cut bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz fully cooked smoked turkey or kielbasa sausage sliced
- 1 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt [more or less to your taste]
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups 1" cubed Yukon gold/red potatoes
- 1 3 lb head cabbage cut into 1" pieces
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove from the pan using a slotted spoon. Reserve 4 tablespoon drippings in pan.
- Add oil and sliced smoked sausages to the pan drippings. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the sausage slices are beginning to brown.
- Add chopped green onions, minced garlic, pepper flakes, seasoned salt and fennel seed. Cook for around 1-2 minutes just until fragrant.
- Top with potatoes and cabbage. Pour chicken stock and cider vinegar over cabbage. Season with black pepper to your taste.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cabbage is cooked through, stir occasionally.
- Uncover, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook uncovered until the pan juices have evaporated and the cabbage is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir well, taste and adjust salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley or cilantro and top with crumbled bacon.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 23g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 1591mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg