This Braised Cabbage With Potatoes And Smoked Sausages is the kind of down home dish that is tummy filling and simple to prepare. Sweet green cabbage is braised in bacon drippings then cooked with slices of smoked sausage and tender Yukon Gold potatoes. This is just the kind of skillet you make not because it’s fancy, but because it’s just plain good.
This braised cabbage skillet is the kind of dish that my Mom and Gramma’s would make. They would certainly start with fresh-from-the-garden cabbage braised with their favorite seasoning of choice…smoked bacon. It makes a great main dish accompaniment to a pan of buttered cornbread or a bowl of pinto beans…or both. It proves that food doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive to be good and family pleasing. What category does this Braised Cabbage With Potatoes And Smoked Sausages fall into? Honest eats, that satisfy the soul.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Braised Cabbage With Potatoes And Smoked Sausages
- 3 slices thick cut bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz fully cooked smoked turkey or kielbasa sausage sliced
- 1 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp seasoned salt [more or less to your taste]
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 2 cups 1" cubed Yukon gold/red potatoes
- 1 3 lb head cabbage cut into 1" pieces
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley or cilantro
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- Add the oil and sliced smoked sausages to the pan drippings. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the sausage slices are beginning to brown.
- Add chopped green onions, minced garlic, pepper flakes, seasoned salt and fennel seed. Cook for around 2 minutes. Mix well.
- Top with the cubed potatoes and chopped cabbage. Pour the chicken stock and cider vinegar over the cabbage. Season with black pepper to your taste.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cabbage is cooked through, stir occasionally.
- Uncover, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook uncovered until the pan juices have evaporated and the cabbage is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir well and adjust the salt & black pepper to your taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley or cilantro and top with crumbled bacon.