Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Quiche – This cheesy broccoli cheddar quiche could only get better with the addition of bacon. The smoky undertones that bacon gives to the custard is mouthwatering. I’m not sure who started the saying “real men don’t eat quiche” but clearly they didn’t know my family. They will dig into a quiche anytime of day that I serve one and for that I am truly grateful since I love making them on a regular basis.
I’m not sure if i love them for the ease of preparation or the fact that they are so versatile. Regardless, they seem to find their way onto my kitchen table rather often and subsequently into my blog archives as well. This particular version has a surprise ingredient. Mayonnaise. It’s not a large amount however, it gives a really creamy texture to the custard as well as a slight twist on flavor. Many broccoli casserole recipes include mayonnaise and I can see why as it goes so well with the broccoli and cheddar cheese.
When making a quiche or pie I recommend that you move it in and out of the oven on a baking sheet. Any size cookie sheet will do, it makes it easier to handle and move from the oven to the counter without breaking the filling in the process and it will also catch any random drips. If you need to make this in advance, reheat slices gently in the microwave and you’ll be good to go on a busy day.
- 1 (9-inch) deep dish frozen pie shell
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup steamed broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the frozen pie shell on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, mayonnaise, garlic salt, onion powder, Dijon, and black pepper until fully combined.
- Fold in the broccoli florets, green onion, bacon and 1 cup shredded cheese. Pour into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken. Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil, if needed to prevent over browning.
- Allow to cool to warm before cutting.