My love for coconut, caramel and cookies collide in these Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies. They're made with dulce de leche, a luscious thick caramel made from cooked and reduced sweetened condensed milk. Mixed together with sweet shredded coconut, egg and flour to bind, they're baked until set and beautifully golden. Top each one with a chocolate kiss and enjoy every decadent bite.
Easy Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies Recipe
How to Make the Best Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies: Sweetened flaked coconut, all purpose flour, sliced almonds, salt, large egg white, dulce de leche, heavy cream, rum extract, vanilla extract, chocolate covered English toffee bits and caramel filled candy kisses.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A hand mixer or a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a small cookie or ice cream scoop and sheet pans for baking.
- These cookies can be made and drizzled with melted semi sweet chocolate in place of the candy kiss.
- Ice cream topping isn't recommend as a substitute for dulce de leche for this recipe. Dulce de leche is thick and you need that texture for this recipe for macaroon cookies to be successful.
- I also have a recipe for how to make your own dulce de leche in a slow cooker here.
- Store Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Where to Find Dulce de Leche
You can purchase dulce at specialty stores such as World Market or Williams-Sonoma, but, these days it's widely available at local grocery stores, and big box stores like Walmart and Target too. I easily find it in the Hispanic foods section, in a 14-ounce can that looks much like sweetened condensed milk. However, it's very different so read the label carefully.
More Southern Style Coconut Cookie Recipes to Make
If you're a lover of the flavor combo of coconut and caramel these homemade macaroon cookies won't disappoint. More cookie recipes featuring coconut you may like to try:
- This recipe for Chocolate Kissed Coconut Macaroons is a fan favorite.
- Key Lime Coconut White Chocolate Chip Cookies are a bite of sunshine.
- You may also like this chocolate version of Chocolate Almond Coconut Macaroon Cookies.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Coconut Cookies are rich and decadent.
- You may also like to try these Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel-Rum Macaroon Cookies
- 1 14 oz container angel flaked sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1 cup chocolate covered English toffee bits
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon pure rum extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz can dulce de leche
- 30 caramel filled chocolate candy kisses
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flaked coconut, flour, salt, ½ cup almonds and English toffee bits. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Whisk together the egg with the heavy cream, then add to the same bowl bowl along with the flavorings and dulce de leche. Mix until fully combined, the mixture will be stiff.
- Use a 2 oz ice cream scoop or a tablespoon to separate into mounds.
- Place at least 1 ½ inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Unwrap the caramel filled kisses and gently press one into the center of each caramel-rum macaroon cookie.
- Cool on a cooling rack.