Thick and delicious this Homemade Dulce de Leche Caramel will make many repeat performances on your dessert table. Sweet and rich it’s made entirely in a slow cooker so, you can enjoy this goodness year-round. It makes a fabulous gift for friends, neighbors and delicious hostess gifts, too. It’s a gloriously rich caramel treat.
What Is Dulce de Leche?
When it come to sweets, caramel tops my list for favorite dessert flavors. I do love chocolate in all forms, as much as anyone else. However, if I were forced to choose, I’d go with sweet, buttery, caramel every single time. It’s been a lifelong love of mine beginning with the Southern favorite flavor combination of pralines and cream. So, what is dulce de leche? Dulce de Leche is of Spanish origin where sweetened condensed milk is reduced and caramelized turning the sugar content into this golden delight. It can be used as an ingredient in recipes for pies, cakes, cookie bars, or warmed and used as an ice cream topping. You can even use this deliciousness to make a quick no-cook caramel frosting for cakes and cupcakes.
Homemade Dulce de Leche Caramel
For many years, people boiled sweetened condensed milk in the can on the stovetop. I’ve done that but, it can’t be left unattended as the water can boil off. There’s also concerns regarding the metal cans and risk involved in that technique so, this slow cooker method is my preferred way to make it. Plus, it’s simple.
- You can use any size or shape of glass jars that you like depending on your preference. Just to be clear, this isn’t a traditional canning technique and you should take care to keep the dulce de leche chilled once cooled. In light of that, don’t expect to store jars on the pantry shelf for months as you would when using a traditional canning technique.
- Once cooled, the caramel does solidify so simply remove what you like from the jar and reheat gently in the microwave to drizzle over ice cream, use for dipping fruit or warm for use in any recipe that calls for dulce de leche. Those around you, will be so impressed and think you slaved for hours, no one has to know how very simple
- it was to make. If you love caramel, too you may also enjoy these Dulce de Leche Brownies from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Homemade Dulce de Leche Caramel
- 4 8 oz glass jars, washed
- 3 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- Fabric and ribbon or twine if desired
- Wash the glass jars in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.
- Fill each jar with sweetened condensed milk leaving 1/2-inch head space. Twist the lid on securely.
- Place the jars into the crock of the slow cooker leaving space between.
- Fill the slow cooker with enough water to cover the jars.
- Place the lid securely on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until rich and golden brown in color.
- Remove the jars carefully using tongs to rest on a dish towel. Be careful, they are hot.
- Cool to room temperature then store chilled for up to one month.