Planning a homemade fiesta? This Fiesta Taco Salad is how we love making our own homemade taco salads. I often set up a taco salad bar, and let everyone build their own salad using their favorite toppings and condiments. Serve the homemade filling in a taco bowl or build on tortilla chips then add lots of shredded cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo and sour cream.
In times past, I would make individual taco salad bowls, using large tortilla’s. When I did this for guests, what did I discover? My family and guests almost never ate the bowl. So, instead, we began building our taco salad on a bed of tortilla chips, and not a crumb is ever left over. All of the amounts in this recipe can be adjusted to fit the size of the group you’re serving. Start with a bed of tortilla chips and taco filling then the rest is up to you. I sometimes serve some hot buttered green chile cornbread or stuffed mexican cornbread on the side Here’s what we do…
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Fiesta Taco Salad
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- black pepper to taste
- For the taco filling:
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper diced
- olive oil
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning [more or less to your taste]
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 16 oz can pinto beans drained
- 1 10 oz can chili seasoned tomatoes i.e. Rotel Chili Fixins'
- tortilla chips
- assorted toppings, shredded lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese,guacamole, Ranch dressing, olives
- To make the pico de gallo: In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Add tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro to the bowl. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Cover and chill until serving.
- To make the Taco meat: In a large skillet, sauté the onion and poblano pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften and brown. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef to the pan. Cook until no pink remains in the ground beef. Add taco seasoning, garlic salt, lemon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, beans and tomatoes. Mix well. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Build salads starting with tortilla chips taco filling, lettuce, cheese and toppings.