This stuffed Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread is one of those versatile dishes that can be served as a main dish or a side dish with a bowl of pinto beans, your favorite soup or a salad. The quick cornbread is kicked-up with green chiles and creamed corn and the seasoned chicken and cheese layer requires no cooking at all. Serve it straight from the oven topped with pico de gallo, a dollop of sour cream and additional taco sauce for drizzling on top, if you’re feeling festive.
Dishes like this stuffed cornbread are not only easy but, make for a quick homemade fiesta in a pinch. I like using leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken picked-up at my local Costco for the filling making the prep a cinch. I recommend Martha White cornmeal mix for this recipe as it’s not quite as sweet as some of it’s counterparts.
Drizzle with additional taco sauce and the flavor reminds me a bit of a tamale, which is one of my favorite Mexican dishes. It’s one of those quick and easy dishes that eats like a homemade fiesta at your own kitchen table.
- 2 (7.5-oz) boxes Yellow Corn Muffin mix (i.e. Martha White)
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 1 (4-oz) can green chilies, drained
- ½ cup milk
- 2 green onion, finely diced
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup medium taco sauce, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place 2 Tbsp butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and into the oven to warm the skillet and melt the butter while the oven preheats.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the corn muffin mix, cream style corn, green chilies, milk, and green onion. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter in the microwave and add to the bowl.
- Whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chicken, taco sauce, 1 cup cheese, taco seasoning, ground cumin and garlic salt. Mix until the ingredients are coated with the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl the butter to coat the bottom and sides.
- Pour ½ of the cornbread batter into the skillet. Arrange the chicken mixture over the batter keeping it within ½-inch from the edge.
- Pour the remaining batter on top. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Lower the oven to 350°F and continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes back clean.
- Rest for 5 minutes then cut into wedges and top with pico de gallo sour cream and taco sauce, if desired.