This stuffed Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread recipe is one of those deliciously versatile dishes. It can be served as a main dish or a side dish with a bowl of pinto beans, your favorite soup or a salad.
Easy Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread Recipe
The quick cornbread is kicked-up with green chiles and creamed corn and the seasoned chicken and cheese layer requires no cooking at all. Serve it straight from the oven topped with pico de gallo, a dollop of sour cream and additional taco sauce for drizzling on top, if you're feeling festive. Dishes like this are not only easy, but they make for a quick homemade fiesta in a pinch.
How to Make the Best Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread Recipe
This kind of stuffed chicken taco cornbread is a spectacular way to stretch leftovers into something the entire family will love. With the price of groceries rising by the day, it's important to have these sorts of easy cornbread recipes in your recipe file to make.
- Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe for homemade Chicken Taco Cornbread: Two boxes of cornbread and muffin mix i.e. Martha White, cream style corn, one 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles, milk, butter, onion, chopped rotisserie chicken, taco sauce, shredded Colby Jack cheese, cumin and garlic salt.
- I like using leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken picked-up at my local Costco for the filling making the prep a cinch. You could also use any leftover chicken that's grilled or poached.
- I recommend Martha White cornmeal mix for this recipe as it's not quite as sweet as Jiffy mix and some of its counterparts.
- At times, I serve this with a side of homemade Ranchero Sauce that my family will drizzle on top before piling on the pico de gallo. You could also go the route of serving a side of the same taco sauce used in the filling for the flavor of a tamale, which is one of my favorite Mexican dishes.
- It's one of those quick and easy dishes that eats like a homemade fiesta at your own kitchen table.
- Store leftover Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in individual servings in the microwave.
More Southern Style Cornbread Recipes to Make
Cornbread and biscuits are the undisputed house breads of the South. Whether you like it sweet, plain, with cheese, bacon or sausage, I've got it all! More cornbread recipes you may like to try:
- Skillet Honey Cornbread is a simple but delicious option for any meal.
- Spicy Chili Chorizo Cornbread is filled with spicy chorizo sausage for kick.
- Brunch ready Cornbread and Sausage Quiche will be the star of your next brunch with friends.
- My Kickin' Crab Corn Muffins are a budget friendly way to serve jumbo lump crab meat to a crowd.
- Chili Cheese Corn Dog Muffins are smothered with homemade chili, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- You may also like these Honey Cornbread Muffins from Averie Cook's.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread
- 2 7.5 oz boxes Yellow Corn Muffin mix (i.e. Martha White)
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 1 4 oz can green chilies, drained
- ½ cup milk
- 2 green onion finely diced
- 4 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup medium taco sauce plus additional for drizzling
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place 2 tablespoon butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and into the oven to warm the skillet and melt the butter while the oven preheats.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the corn muffin mix, cream style corn, green chilies, milk, and green onion. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon butter in the microwave and add to the bowl.
- Whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chicken, taco sauce, 1 cup cheese, taco seasoning, ground cumin and garlic salt. Mix until the ingredients are coated with the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl the butter to coat the bottom and sides.
- Pour ½ of the cornbread batter into the skillet. Arrange the chicken mixture over the batter keeping it within ½-inch from the edge.
- Pour the remaining batter on top. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Lower the oven to 350°F and continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes back clean.
- Rest for 5 minutes then cut into wedges and top with pico de gallo sour cream and taco sauce, if desired.