These Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits are a spectacular variation on our beloved house bread of the South. The flavor paring makes these beefy biscuits ideal for serving as the complimentary bread for any meal.
Easy Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits Recipe
This savory variation on a classic buttermilk biscuit that was the result of an “aha” kitchen moment. I love baking savory and sweet alike and am known for making all sorts of biscuits. Some biscuits are more tailored for breakfast meals and some sweet versions such as cinnamon swirl raisin biscuits or cranberry orange scones can be served for brunch or tea. This beef and bleu cheese biscuit is a terrific appetizer or dinner bread. How to make Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Prepare Pan – Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients – Mix together the flour, bleu cheese crumbles, chopped beef, chives and seasonings.
- Wet Ingredients – Make a well in the center and add heavy cream. Reserve additional cream to brush the tops before baking. Use a large silicone spatula or spoon and mixing until combined.
- Roll Biscuit Dough – Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, then pat or roll to 3/4- 1 inch in thickness. Cut into desired size rounds.
- Transfer ro Pan – Place onto the baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Brush tops with additional heavy cream.
- Bake – Place into the oven and bake for 14-15 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
How to Make the BEST Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits: Self rising flour, bleu cheese or gorgonzola cheese, fresh chives, garlic paprika, granulated sugar, heavy cream and dried beef.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, biscuit cutters, whisk sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons and sheet pans.
- I enjoy the robust flavor of bleu cheese, and I tend to gravitate to those that are heavily blue veined. However, I recognize that this is an acquired taste so, for these biscuits, I chose to use a milder Gorgonzola cheese which often appeals to a wider audience.
- The beef used in these biscuits is dried beef and usually comes in a small jar. It’s salty and dried chipped beef like you’d use to make chipped beef gravy. It’s readily available at most grocery stores and places like Target and Walmart.
- You can make these biscuits any size you like depending on the cutter used. The pictures are using a 2 1/2 biscuit cutter. Appetizer size, use a 1 inch cutter.
- These biscuits can be served with a side of sweet chive butter to accompany any meal at any time of day.
- I highly recommend using White Lily flour if it’s available in your area to make the best biscuits.
- My favorite way to serve these for a high tea or brunch is to add a couple of slices of juicy tomato, a light sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of horseradish sauce. The trio of beef, bleu cheese and horseradish turns these into the fillet mignon of biscuits.
- Store baked Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits wrapped in foil chilled in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
More Southern Biscuit Recipes to Make
- Perhaps you’re in the mood for Honey Butter Biscuits stuffed with ham.
- Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
- Another savory variation are these Cheddar Bacon Drop Biscuits.
- This recipe for Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits is the only one you’ll ever need.
- Start your day with Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
- For holidays and tea time there’s nothing like a pan of light and fluffy Angel Biscuits,
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Beef And Bleu Cheese Biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 oz crumbled bleu or Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dried beef [i.e.Armour]
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream plus 2 Tbsp
- add’l heavy cream to brush the tops
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl use a whisk to together the flour, bleu cheese crumbles, chopped beef, chives and seasonings.
- Make a well in the center and add 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Reserve additional cream to brush the tops before baking.
- Use a large silicone spatula or spoon and mixing until combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, then pat or roll to 3/4- 1 inch in thickness. Cut into desired size rounds. (A 2 inch biscuit cutter will yield 14 biscuits. You can make these biscuits any size you like.)
- Place onto the baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Brush tops with additional heavy cream. Place into the oven and bake for 14-15 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.