Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a fun twist on the classic banana bread that we all love. Filling the batter with chocolate chips, elevates it a bit, for a delicious end result.
Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Banana bread has to be one of the most popular sweet bread recipes. It has so many variations, and I’m constantly changing-up the original myself. I make variations including banana pudding bread, chocolate banana bread and Reese’s peanut butter banana bread for the peanut butter cups fans. I also have a recipe for cinnamon banana bread with pecans and toffee chips, just to name a few. It’s convenient to be able to use simple pantry ingredients to make a fresh loaf of banana bread and in turn nothing goes to waste. That’s a win in my book.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- What bananas work best for making banana bread? Rule of thumb is, the more ripe the bananas, the better they are for this bread. Dark skins or spotty skin on the banana will work perfectly.
- This recipe uses a large 10 x 5 x 4 inch loaf pan. If you don’t have a pan that large, you may divide the batter between two 8 inch pans or make several mini loaves. The baking time will need adjusting depending on the size. Smaller loaves will take less time to bake.
- To make sure the bread is done, always test the center of the banana bread with a toothpick or a cake tester before removing it from the oven. Adjust the baking time according to how your appliance performs.
- Can I add nuts to this banana bread recipe? You can adapt using 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, for a nutty twist.
- How long can I store banana bread? You can store this banana bread in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Can I freeze banana bread? To freeze banana bread cool it completely then wrap the loaf in freezer safe wrap and store frozen for up to 1 month.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for banana cinnamon monkey bread from The Southern Lady Cooks.
Other Banana Bread Recipes to Make
Keep your pantry stocked with flour, sugar and vanilla and you’ll be able to whip up a banana bread whenever you like. Add cocoa and vanilla, toffee bits, walnuts or pecans and you’ve got what you need to make these other variations. Other recipes you may like to try:
- Rich and indulgent Chocolate Banana Bread.
- Streusel Topped Banana Pudding Bread.
- Individual size Banana Bread Muffins.
- Mix in peanut butter cups to the batter for this Reese’s Peanut Butter Banana Bread.
- Mini bite size Banana Choco Toffee Banana Muffins.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 medium ripe bananas (To equal 1 1/2 cups) mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 4 Tbsp salted or unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 12 oz package semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray one large 10 x 5-inch loaf pan or two standard 8 x 4-inch loaf pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl using a whisk, sift together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together banana, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing with a large non stick spatula or spoon, until fully combined. Mix chocolate chips into the batter until evenly distributed. (You may reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top, if desired)
- Pour batter evenly into pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes for a large 10 inch loaf pan or 40-45 minutes for two medium-size loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature.