This puffy golden Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake starts with frozen dinner rolls only adding to the ease of preparation. After baking it turns into a puffed-up heavenly combination of chorizo sausage, eggs, dinner rolls and cheese that’s guaranteed to kick start your day.
Easy Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake Recipe
This bubble up casserole is one of those dishes that can made in advance then baked when you’re ready to eat. It’s super convenient for weekends or holiday brunch meals when you need to prep things in advance. The rolls are cubed and smothered with a flavorful homemade custard filled with spicy chorizo sausage, peppers, pepper jack cheese and the perfect blend of seasonings. It bakes puffed and golden turning into a feast for the eyes and senses. How to make Chorizo Breakfast Casserole: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Prepare Dish – Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Quarter Rolls – Use a sharp knife to quarter the rolls and arrange in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Cook Sausage – Cook the chorizo sausage until no pink remains. Drain all but one tablespoon of drippings from the pan.
- Vegetables – To the drippings add green onion and red bell pepper cooking until softened. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Assemble – Sprinkle the cooked chorizo over the quartered rolls and sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- Eggs – Whisk together the eggs, cream, and seasonings. Add the cooked onion and peppers and drained green chilies. Pour evenly over the ingredients assembled in the dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining pepper-jack cheese.
- Chill – Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Bring to Room Temperature – After chilling allow the casserole to sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake – Bake in a preheated 350°F oven per the recipe until golden and puffy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back with moist crumbs then cut and serve.
How to Make the BEST Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake: Chorizo sausage, large eggs, frozen unbaked yeast roll dough, green onions, red bell pepper, shredded pepper jack cheese, one small can of chopped green chiles, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A skillet to fry the chorizo, a sharp knife and chopping board, a whisk, mixing bowls, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons and a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- If you prefer less spice this recipe can also be made with a milder breakfast sausage or even sweet Italian sausage if you’re so inclined.
- The cheese blend can also be adapted to your taste or what you have handy in your cheese drawer.
- This bubble bake is not only hearty and filling but, it’s an impressive breakfast bake for special occasion gatherings and meals.
- This recipe is designed to be made in advance. Allow at least 4 hours chill time or overnight before baking.
- Store leftover chorizo breakfast bubble bake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving potions.
- This kind of bubble up breakfast casserole adds variety to the brunch menu. I’ve served this make ahead breakfast casserole for breakfast and brunch with a fresh fruit salad and muffins on the side. You can also enjoy this bubble up for dinner with soup and a salad to round out the meal.
More Southern Style Breakfast and Brunch Recipes to Make
Make ahead breakfast casseroles make for a delicious start to the day. More breakfast bakes and casseroles you may like to like to try:
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Brunch Bake is a spectacular use for leftover holiday ham.
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Brunch Bread is made in a Bundt pan making it a beautiful addition to the table.
- Creole Andouille Rice Brunch Bake is a delicious twist on a typical breakfast bake for Mardis Gras.
- Ham and Swiss Brunch Delight drizzled with pure maple syrup features that sweet and salty vibe you’ll love.
- This Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a tasty way to start the day.
- Decadent Praline Pecan French Toast Casserole is always a hit.
- Veggie Lover’s Breakfast Casserole from Pillsbury.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake
- 1 lb fresh chorizo sausage casings removed
- 10 frozen yeast rolls thawed but still cold quartered [i.e. Rhodes]
- 3 medium green onion thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 1 4 oz can chopped fire roasted green chiles drained
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup light cream or half and half
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to quarter the rolls and arrange in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo sausage until no pink remains. Drain all but 1 Tbsp of drippings from the pan.
- Cook the green onion and red bell pepper in the drippings for 3-4 minutes until softened. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Sprinkle the cooked chorizo over the quartered rolls and sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, and seasonings. Add the cooked onion and peppers and drained green chilies.
- Pour evenly over the ingredients assembled in the dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining pepper-jack cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Allow casserole to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and puffy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back with moist crumbs.
- Serve immediately.