This puffy golden Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake starts with frozen yeast rolls. The rolls are cubed and smothered with a flavorful homemade custard filled with spicy chorizo sausage, peppers, pepper jack cheese and the perfect blend of seasonings. It bakes puffed and golden a feast for the eyes and senses.
This bubble up casserole is one of those dishes that can made in advance then baked when you’re ready to eat. It’s super convenient for weekend or holiday brunch meals when you need to prep things in advance. I’ve served it for breakfast and brunch with a fresh fruit compote and muffins or for dinner with soup and a salad. You can also vary the type of sausage or cheese blend that you use to adjust the amount of heat in the dish. It’s a hearty and filling and impressive breakfast bake for special days or special occasion meals.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chorizo Breakfast Bubble Bake
- 1 lb fresh chorizo sausage casings removed
- 10 frozen yeast rolls thawed but still cold quartered [i.e. Rhodes]
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 1 4 oz can chopped fire roasted green chilies drained
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup light cream or half & half
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spritz a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Quarter the rolls and arrange in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo sausage until no pink remains. Drain all but 1 Tbsp of drippings from the pan.
- Cook the green onion and red bell pepper in the drippings for 3-4 minutes until softened. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Sprinkle the cooked chorizo over the quartered rolls and sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, and seasonings. Add the cooked onion and peppers and drained green chilies.
- Pour evenly into the dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining pepper-jack cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and puffy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back with moist crumbs.