Ham and Swiss Brunch Casserole is a spectacular way to enjoy a special breakfast casserole be it at the holidays, a church or office potluck parties or casual weekend brunches with the family. A generous drizzle of pure maple syrup is guaranteed to take it over-the-top..
Ham and Swiss Brunch Delight
Brunch dishes like this savory ham and Swiss cheese casserole are always a very popular and in demand recipe search by my visitors here on Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen. As we all know, it is the most important meal of the day. When I posted my Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole, I had no idea how popular it would be and how much people would love it. Trust me, that always delights me and I love sharing with visitors. In general, people seem to love breakfast dishes and casseroles as much for dinner as breakfast and brunch. .
Make-Ahead Dishes Take the Stress out of the Morning Rush
Tips for making this elegant breakfast or brunch dish to serve family and guests.
- This brunch casserole can be prepared ahead of time, and baked off in the morning. Allow it to rest on the counter for a few minutes to warm to room temperature before baking.
- This dish is a fantastic way to transform holiday ham. Cubed deli ham or a ham steak works well, too.
- When entertaining guests or for special Holiday breakfasts, this casserole is simply perfect cut into squares and served with a fresh fruit compote to round out your breakfast or brunch meal.
- Here's a bit of a twist...my family enjoys this casserole drizzled with warm maple syrup just before eating. It's become an absolute must alongside this dish at our breakfast table. I think the maple syrup gives this dish the sweet and salty combination of flavor that makes it so appealing.
- You may also like to try my Chorizo Bubble Bake and Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler for your next family gathering. Another delicious use for leftover ham is this Ham and Rice Skillet from The Girl Who At Everything.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ham and Swiss Brunch Casserole
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 16 oz french bread loaf
- 1 lb fully cooked ham cubed
- 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss or white cheddar cheese divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup plus additional for serving
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Slice the french bread into ¾ inch slices and lightly butter each piece on one side. Cut each slice through the middle then into bite size cubes.
- Layer half of the buttered bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the cubed ham over the bread.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese over the cubed ham layer, and arrange the top layer of buttered bread cubes over the cheese.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of whole milk, 1 cup of low fat half & half, 6 large eggs, 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon onion powder and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add 1-2 tablespoons of chopped chives.
- Pour the custard evenly over the layers of bread cubes, ham and cheese.
- Using a spoon, gently press the bread cubes into the custard, then cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place the dish into the refrigerator to chill overnight to allow the bread to soak in all of the luscious custard.
- To prepare: Uncover and discard the plastic wrap. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top, and dot the top with small, thin pats of butter.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden and the custard has set and cooked through.
- Allow the casserole to sit on the counter for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Serve drizzled with pure maple syrup.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1106mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 544IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 245mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
I made this for a brunch at my house. Everyone LOVED it. The bread turns into this toasty, crunchy topping and the body of the casserole is not runny or liquid at all. It almost has the consistency of a well made quiche. Definitely a keeper!!
Thanks so much, Susan!
Nancy R Marsman
I made this for my daughter- in - laws' baby shower and it was delicious ! Many compliments and requests for the recipe. It looks delicious too.
How wonderful, congrats on the coming baby, too!
Never able to get to the ham and Swiss brunch casserole
How do you mean? I think you scrolled right past it to make this comment.
What if you substitute rye bread for the french bread, like a ham and swiss on rye
If that's your preference,sure. I'm not sure about rye bread with maple syrup but, if you like it, go for it.
sounds like lots of liquid is this too runny?
Hi Jane, welcome! Here's the link to the casserole I mentioned in the narrative. If you like, the sausage can be left out. Thanks for visiting, Melissa
This looks out of this world! I am a new follower and I'm looking forward to more of your outstanding recipes! How can I find the Egg and Cheese Casserole?
Hi Ashley, since chives are so mild a good substitute would be green onion tops. Just for color fresh parsley would work, too.
Web Design Greensboro
If I don't have chives, what would be a good substitute? Spice of any kind? - Ashley Bailey
Hi Jen, a white sharp cheddar will work beautifully! Enjoy!! 🙂
Could I sub out the swiss cheese for a cheddar? My husband doesn't like swiss cheese ;( Looks yummy and I think I'll be tryin' it this weekend for my holiday guests!
Didi, you are the greatest, most lovng cheerleader I know!! Thanks, sweetie! xoxo
How beautiful and scrumptious is that?? So loving this Melissa!!