Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is a tasty guiltless alternative to classic rice. It comes together in minutes and with simple ingredient adjustments can be used as the foundation for your favorite entrees. This cilantro lime variation goes well with Mexican, Asian and Indian cuisines alike.
Rice in the South
The South has a long time history of both growing and loving rice. It's a staple in low country, Cajun and Creole cooking and is an ingredient in many other dishes that we enjoy. Cauliflower rice is a popular option as a lower carb alternative and admit I was skeptical at first. In my mind, there was just no replacement for the real thing. Regardless, I wanted to give it a whirl.
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
After an initial run of making it in the microwave I thought it was a bit tasteless. That said, it did have a surprisingly satisfying texture similar to the chew you get with rice. So I decided to make it on the stovetop in a skillet and try seasoning it a bit more. The result made a believer out of me. Cauliflower rice goes well with any meal where rice would normally be served if you'd like a lower carb option.
Things to consider:
- A large head of cauliflower is used in this recipe so the seasoning amounts reflect this amount. If you're planning to use a smaller head of cauliflower, adapt the seasonings to your taste.
- To make this, the cauliflower can be grated using a box grater. My preference is a food processor pulsing until it reaches the proper texture and, it's not quite as messy.
- I used light butter to saute this cauliflower rice but, you may adapt using olive olive, if preferred.
- This dish can be converted to fried rice very easily adding carrot, peas, additional seasonings and teriyaki to your taste. Plus, scrambled egg, of course.
- Another fun recipe you may enjoy are these Cauliflower Pancakes from Real Housemoms.
It's a delicious and mouthwatering dish you can enjoy as an every day side dish. It's so simple to make plus, no-guilt made a believer out of me.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 medium green onion finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic salt adjust to your taste
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 small lime juiced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1-2 Tbsp light butter
- Remove the core from the cauliflower and separate the florets into smaller pieces. Place into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel chopping blade. Pulse in batches until it resembles rice. Remove to a bowl, and repeat pulsing any large pieces until all of the florets are used.
- To cook: In a large heavy bottomed skillet cook the chopped green onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook until softened around 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower rice, garlic salt and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally or until crisp tender. Adjust texture cooking to your preferred texture.
- Uncover and add the lime juice and cilantro and 1-2 Tbsp light butter. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.