These Classic Soft Peanut Butter Cookies are a taste of nostalgia. The texture is reminiscent of the peanut butter cookies I adored as a girl and incidentally were my very first baking project when I was barely 10 years old. They’re packed with plenty of creamy peanut butter and the dreamy dough can be prepared a day or two in advance for a time saver. Store prepared dough chilled until you’re ready to bake a fresh batch to enjoy with a tall glass of milk.
I have always loved cooking and baking. I can’t remember a time in my life when I wasn’t fascinated with the art of combining ingredients then subsequently turning them into something spectacular to enjoy. I can vividly remember watching my Mom and Grandmas whip-up pure genius using simple items straight from the kitchen pantry. It seemed almost magical that butter, flour, eggs and in this case peanut butter, could be transformed into a homemade masterpiece. My very first all-by-myself baking project was baking a batch of soft peanut butter cookies just like these. The recipe for those cookies came straight from a well used church cookbook that belonged to my Mom. They were simple to make and always disappeared in a hurry, I do have brothers, after all. I developed this peanut butter cookie recipe to use in place of the one I used then and with each bite I’m transported back to those early days of learning how to bake. It’s a comforting place to be.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Classic Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl cream together the peanut butter, butter, shortening, brown sugar, granulated sugar and cream until fully combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Lower the speed of the mixer adding the sifted dry ingredients gradually beating just until combined. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Using a 2 oz ice cream scoop to drop rounded dough onto the cookie sheet placing at least 2-inches apart. Use a fork to flatten the tops in a crisscross pattern.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then carefully move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature tightly sealed