In late winter and early spring when Meyer lemons start hitting the produce shelves it’s the perfect time to start dreaming of warmer weather and citrus laced Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Yogurt Bread. It’s the perfect size for those moments you’re in the mood for a small batch sweet treat and the glaze makes it almost cake-like. Serve this bite of sunshine with a cup of hot tea or coffee and sit back and savor the small things that mean the most in life.
The difference between regular and Meyer lemons is generally associated with size, appearance and color. Meyer lemons are a late winter fruit, more round than their counterparts with a taste that is reminiscent of a cross between a mandarin orange and a lemon. The pulp of a Meyer lemon is also slightly darker in color. Meyer lemons and regular lemons can of course, be used interchangeably in recipes like this yogurt bread so, don’t sweat it if you can’t find them.
If you’d like to make this Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Yogurt Bread in advance, it freezes beautifully. When doing so, I recommend you wait to glaze the bread just before serving. It’s ideal for serving at breakfast, brunch, at tea or any time of day when a small batch sweet treat will do. So, brew some coffee, bake this bread and enjoy some lively chatter with a friend. You’ll be so glad you did.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Yogurt Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 8 oz unflavored Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 lemons zested
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Additional lemon zest Optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, butter, yogurt, eggs, zest, juice and poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix by hand until fully combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the loaf.
- Garnish with additional lemon zest, if desired.