Easy Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake Recipe
How to Make the Best Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake
This cake may be smaller than an average cake but it’s packed with flavor.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake: Self rising flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, chopped fresh orange, large eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- To make the Citrus Drizzle (Glaze): Powdered sugar, orange or lemon juice, heavy cream and orange zest.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: This recipe uses a classic 9 inch nonstick metal pan for baking. You can make two smaller loaves or even mini loaves with the same batter it you like. You’ll also need a medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, citrus zester, sharp knife and cutting board, whisk and hand mixer OR a large spoon or rubber spatula to mix it all together by hand.
- This one bowl cake recipe doesn’t even require a mixer, unless you want to use one. Use a whisk and whip everything together in a snap.
- How do I choose the best fresh oranges? Oranges should be firm when gently squeezed with a smooth bright orange skin free of brown, white or green spots.
- What is the pith of the orange? The pith is the white lining of the orange and wraps each segment. It can be bitter so try to remove as much as possible and avoid grating it when zesting the orange skin.
- Make your own self rising flour: Replace the 2 cups of self rising flour called for in the recipe, with two cups of all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons of table salt. Sift together using a whisk then proceed with the recipes as written.
- Store baked Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze this loaf cake for up to 3 months. When doing so, wait to add the glaze just before serving.
More Loaf Cake Recipes and Quick Breads to Make
When I developed this loaf cake, I wanted a cake that was just the right size and portion for an impromptu tea party with some friends. It worked perfectly, and not a crumb was leftover. Other recipes you may like to try:
- Cranberry Orange Yogurt Bread for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
- Fresh Blueberry Almond Yogurt Bread is filled with plump sweet blueberries.
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Yogurt Bread is another citrus infused sweet treat to make.
- Cream cheese frosted Carrot Cake Loaf.
- Island inspired Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Loaf is moist and flavorful.
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake
- 2 cup self rising flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large orange peeled and finely chopped with juice [to equal 2/3 cup]
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- Citrus drizzle:
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1-2 Tbsp orange or lemon juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a standard 9 inch loaf pan or spray with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the orange pulp removing any seeds and pith, to equal 2/3 cup.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together orange pulp, butter, eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest, orange zest and vanilla until fully blended.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients. Use a large spoon and mix by hand until fully combined. Spread the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 36-38 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove carefully to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the citrus drizzle: Mix together the powdered sugar, heavy cream and orange zest. Stir until blended. Add the juice, as needed to thin to drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
- Garnish with strips of orange zest, if desired.