Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake Recipe
How to Make the Best Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake
This cake may be smaller than an average cake but it's packed with flavor.
- What will I need to make a loaf cake? This recipe uses a classic 9 inch nonstick metal pan for baking. You can make two smaller loaves or even mini loaves with the same batter it you like.
- How do I choose the best fresh oranges? Oranges should be firm when gently squeezed with a smooth bright orange skin free of brown, white or green spots.
- This one bowl cake recipe doesn't even require a mixer, unless you want to use one. Use a whisk and whip everything together in a snap.
- What is the pith of the orange? The pith is the white lining of the orange and wraps each segment. It can be bitter so try to remove as much as possible and avoid grating it when zesting the orange skin.
- Make your own self rising flour: Replace the 2 cups of self rising flour called for in the recipe, with two cups of all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons of baking powder and ½ teaspoons of table salt. Sift together using a whisk then proceed with the recipes as written.
Other Loaf Cake Recipes and Quick Breads to Add to the Menu
When I developed this loaf cake, I wanted a cake that was just the right size and portion for an impromptu tea party with some friends. It worked perfectly, and not a crumb was leftover. Other recipes you may like to try:
- Cranberry Orange Yogurt Bread for breakfast, brunch or dessert
- Fresh Blueberry Almond Yogurt Bread
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Yogurt Bread is another citrus infused sweet treat
- Island inspired Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Loaf
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake from Sally's Baking Addiction
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Citrus Drizzle Loaf Cake
- 2 cup self rising flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large orange peeled and finely chopped with juice [to equal ⅔ cup]
- 4 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Citrus drizzle:
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoon orange or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a standard 9 inch loaf pan or spray with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the orange pulp removing any seeds and pith, to equal ⅔ cup.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together orange pulp, butter, eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest and vanilla until fully blended.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients. Use a large spoon and mix by hand until fully combined. Spread the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 36-38 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove carefully to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the citrus drizzle: Mix together the powdered sugar, heavy cream and orange zest. Stir until blended. Add the juice, as needed to thin to drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
- Garnish with strips of orange zest, if desired.