Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon and mushrooms is the perfect special occasion side dish. Whether it's a holiday event, date night or you're entertaining guests, this indulgent side dish will hit the spot.
Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon and Mushrooms
Creamed spinach is a classic steakhouse side dish. It's luscious and one of my favorite choices to enjoy instead of the expected baked potato. Nothing against potatoes, I love them but, variety is the spice of life, right? This gratin starts on the stovetop adding some smoky flavor with the addition of bacon. It's packed with flavor and if you're short on time, skip the oven and you can serve it straight from the stovetop minus the crumb topping. That said, the topping is worth the wait, if I say so myself.
Tips for Spinach Gratin Making Success
- Frozen spinach works extremely well for this gratin. You may use fresh spinach if you prefer, to equal the same amount.
- Should you choose to go with fresh spinach, it will take a very large skillet to wilt it thoroughly so, adjust accordingly. Make sure all moisture is cooked out before adding the ingredients for the sauce.
- Grating your own Parmesan cheese takes the flavor to another level. You may used pre-grated, if preferred
- This gratin may be assembled in advance, covered and chilled for a time saver. Bring to room temperature prior to baking
Company Worthy Creamed Spinach
This creamed spinach gratin is company worthy but don't wait until you're entertaining to try it, serve your family and friends steakhouse favorites at your own kitchen table. Another delicious spinach dish to try is this recipe for simple Sautéed Spinach from Crunchy Creamy Sweet.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon
- 5 slices bacon
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 boxes boxes frozen cut leaf spinach thawed and drained
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 2 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoon drippings.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and onion to drippings. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-high until softened and beginning to brown.
- Ring the spinach in a kitchen towel to remove all excess moisture, then add to the pan. Add salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, half & half, heavy cream and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add 1 ½ cup shredded cheese. Crumble the bacon and add back to the spinach reserving 2 tablespoon for the top. Mix well then pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese with 2 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with reserved bacon crumbles before serving.