Creamed Spinach Gratin With Bacon And Mushrooms – Creamed spinach is a classic steakhouse side dish. It’s luscious and one of my favorite choices to enjoy instead of the expected baked potato. Nothing against potatoes, I love them but, variety is the spice of life, right? This version starts on the stovetop adding some smokey love with the addition of bacon. It’s packed with flavor and if you’re short on time, skip the oven and you can serve it straight from the stovetop minus the crumb topping, if you don’t have time to bake the gratin in the oven.
Frozen spinach works extremely well for this if you prefer to use fresh spinach you can, of course. It will take a very large skillet to wilt it though so, adjust accordingly and be certain all moisture is cooked out before adding the ingredients for the sauce. This creamed spinach is company worthy but don’t wait until you’re entertaining to try it. Serve your family and friends steakhouse favorites at your own kitchen table.
Creamed Spinach Gratin With Bacon And Mushrooms
- 5 slices bacon
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3  oz boxes frozen cut leaf spinach thawed and drained
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 2 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 Tbsp drippings.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and onion to drippings. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-high until softened and beginning to brown.
- Ring the spinach in a kitchen towel to remove all excess moisture, then add to the pan. Add salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, half & half, heavy cream and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Crumble the bacon and add back to the spinach reserving 2 Tbsp for the top. Mix well then pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese with 2 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with reserved bacon crumbles before serving.