This Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon and Mushrooms is the perfect special occasion side dish. Whether it’s a holiday event, date night or you’re entertaining guests, this indulgent side dish will hit the spot.
Easy Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon Recipe
Creamed spinach is a classic steakhouse side dish. It’s luscious and one of my favorite choices to enjoy instead of the expected baked potato. Nothing against potatoes, I love them but, variety is the spice of life, right? This gratin starts on the stovetop adding some smoky flavor with the addition of bacon. It’s packed with flavor and if you’re short on time, skip the oven and you can serve it straight from the stovetop minus the crumb topping. That said, the topping is worth the wait, if I say so myself. How to make Creamed Spinach Gratin:
- Spinach – Frozen cut leaf spinach completely thawed and squeezed to remove liquid.
- Mushrooms – Sliced baby portabella mushrooms.
- Onion- Green onions.
- Bacon – 5 slices of classic bacon.
- Seasonings – Minced fresh garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Liquid – Half and half and heavy cream.
- Cheese – Grated Parmesan cheese and shredded sharp white cheddar cheese or Gruyere cheese.
- Topping – Panko breadcrumbs and melted butter.
How to Make the Best Creamed Spinach Gratin Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon: 3 boxes frozen cut leaf spinach thawed and well drained, bacon, green onions, garlic, baby portabella mushrooms, half and half, heavy cream, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, panko breadcrumbs, butter, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded white cheddar cheese or Gruyere.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large skillet, sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, 2 quart oblong or round baking dish, cheese grater, a small microwave safe bowl to melt the butter and mix together the remaining ingredients for the topping.
- Frozen spinach works extremely well for this gratin. Keep in mind it holds a ton of moisture so not only do you need to thaw it, but squeeze it in a clean kitchen towel to remove as much as possible.
- You can use fresh spinach if you prefer, to equal the same amount. Should you choose to go with fresh spinach, it will take a very large skillet to wilt it thoroughly, so adjust accordingly. Make sure all moisture is cooked out before adding the ingredients for the sauce.
- Grating your own Parmesan cheese takes the flavor to another level. You can used pre-grated, if preferred.
- This gratin can be fully assembled in advance, covered and chilled in the refrigerator for a time saver. Allow 15-20 minutes on the counter to warm to room temperature prior to baking.
- Store baked Creamed Spinach Gratin in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Gently reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes to Make
This Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon is company worthy but don’t wait until you’re entertaining to try it. Add it to the menu and serve your family and friends steakhouse favorites at home. More Southern style side dish recipes to make:
- Broccoli Cheddar Gratin is oh so good!
- Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts are roasted in the oven to bring out the natural sweetness.
- EASY Cheddar Mixed Vegetable Gratin just may have the kids eating their vegetables and loving it.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole frees up the oven for other dishes.
- Cheesy Baked Asparagus is super simple to make.
- Make ahead Baked Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes.
- Roasted Green Beans from Wholesome Yum.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamed Spinach Gratin with Bacon
- 5 slices bacon
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 10 oz boxes frozen cut leaf spinach thawed and drained
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 2 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 Tbsp drippings.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and onion to drippings. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-high until softened and beginning to brown.
- Ring the spinach in a kitchen towel to remove all excess moisture, then add to the pan. Add salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, half & half, heavy cream and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Crumble the bacon and add back to the spinach reserving 2 Tbsp for the top. Mix well then pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese with 2 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with reserved bacon crumbles before serving.