These make ahead Baked Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes are creamy and flavorful with a subtle garlic and herb flavor combination that appeals to everyone. They're the ideal special occasion side dish and there's never a spoonful left over. Not only are they mouthwateringly delicious but, they can be prepared and assembled in advance for a terrific busy cooking day time saver.
Baked Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes Recipe
It's no secret how much Americans love potatoes, I dare say it's a universal phenomenon. We certainly do our part to consume a variety of spuds and there's no better time than the special gatherings and the holidays to serve them in style. As you know, I've been a regular Contributor to Parade Magazine for several years. In doing so, I get the fun opportunity each week to share recipes like these make ahead garlic herb potatoes with Parade readers as well as with you, my cooking friends. I wanted to add the recipe for these irresistible spuds, to my website so, you can easily find the recipe in the recipe index when you're ready to make them.
Other Potato Recipes To Try
The recipe index here on MSSK is filled with recipes that my family loves. Dishes like:
- Slow Cooked Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
- Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Rosemary Roasted Potatoes are regulars in my kitchen just to name a few.
When to Serve Mashed Potatoes
There's no wrong answer here. Mashed potatoes are consummate comfort food that's certain to complement most any entrée. I'm certain your loved ones are the similar to mine, any potato dish will do. These dreamy make ahead garlic potatoes are a special dish and while the end result is delicious, they encompass ease of preparation since they can be made in advance. Serve them with steak, turkey, ham, or chicken and watch 'em go. Another fun holiday buffet item you may like to try are these Mashed Potato Puffs from Buns in my Oven.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Baked Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 6 Tbsp butter softened and divided
- ¾ cup half and half plus additional as needed
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp black or white pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 6.5 oz container spreadable garlic-herb cheese i.e. Boursin or Alouette i.e. Boursin or Alouette
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom and sides of an 8 x 12 inch baking dish with 1 Tbsp butter or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, cover cubed potatoes with cold water. Season water with 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil cooking over medium-high until fork-tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Return potatoes to pot. Using an electric mixer whip in 4 Tbsp butter, half & half, 1 tsp salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and nutmeg. Whip for 2 minutes or until creamy and combined. Add additional half & half as needed while whipping. Taste and adjust salt to your taste.
- By hand, stir in 1½ cups shredded cheese, garlic-herb cheese spread, and chives. Stir until fully combined.
- Spread potatoes into dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining shredded cheese. May bake immediately or, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- If chilled, remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. Dot the top with the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter, then place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and potatoes are heated through. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
- You may use classic yellow cheddar cheese in this recipe, if desired.
- Light Alouette or ⅓ less fat spreadable garlic herb cream cheese works well in this recipe.