These Creamy Barbecue Chicken Turnovers are a fantastic way to use leftover grilled, roasted or rotisserie chicken for a busy day meal. In them, chicken is smothered with a flavorful creamy barbecue filling then wrapped in pastry and baked until beautifully golden. They’re bound to become a family favorite.
Easy Creamy Barbecue Chicken Turnovers Recipe
If you’re like me, you know how creative we have to be with leftover ingredients from time to time. Fortunately, my family loves leftovers but, it’s always a treat when they can be recreated. For example, they love these grilled shredded beef chimichangas made with leftover pot roast. You know those days that we need to stretch our budget and ingredients into another meal this sort of homemade hand pie comes in handy.
Which Barbecue Sauce is the Best for Barbecue Chicken Turnovers?
How to Make the Best Creamy Barbecue Chicken Turnovers Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Barbecue Chicken Turnovers: Chopped rotisserie chicken, refrigerated pie crusts (i.e. Pillsbury or similar), chive and onion cream cheese, barbecue sauce, Mexican corn (well drained), large egg, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic salt and chopped chives.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Sharp knife and cutting board, hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater, large spoon or spatula, small bowl and pastry brush. You’ll also need a sheet pan for baking.
- You can use your favorite brand of pie crusts for this recipe. Follow the package directions regarding how to bring the pastry to room temperature for rolling.
- What does the cream cheese do? It serves as a binder for the filling.
- This recipe can be made with any kind of cooked chicken. Rotisserie chicken, roast chicken, poached chicken or even grilled chicken. It’s a terrific way to stretch ingredients into a round two meal.
- If you’d like to give the filling a bit of kick, add chopped pickled jalapenos and use pepper jack cheese in place of cheddar cheese.
- These creamy barbecue chicken turnovers can also be made in advance and stored in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator prior to baking. Wait to brush them with the beaten egg and topping with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt just before popping them into the oven to bake.
- Please note: The flavor of the filling can be adjusted depending on the kind of barbecue sauce that you use. I used Sweet Baby Rays Chipotle Honey which gave it the sweet and spicy flavor combination that we love. A thicker barbecue sauce works best and won’t make the filling too watery.
- These turnovers make a quick meal that’s perfect to be paired with a Seven Layer Salad or grab-n-go on those busy after school sports practice days.
- Store baked Barbecue Chicken Turnovers chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F air fryer or on a sheet pan in a 375°F oven just until heated through and crisped. You can also reheat in the microwave but the pastry will be softer.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks are ideal for quick weekday meals after a busy day.
- The kiddos will love this Easy Popcorn Chicken for dipping in their favorite sauces.
- My recipe for Crispy Oven Chicken Parmesan is a fan favorite.
- White Chicken Chili is packed with flavor.
- Barbecue Chicken and Potato Foil Packs can be made in the oven or on the grill.
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Chicken Fajitas are just what you need for a homemade fiesta.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Creamy Barbecue Chicken Turnovers
- 1 14 oz box refrigerated pie crusts
- 4 oz onion and chive cream cheese
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce recommend honey chipotle or similar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup Mexican corn well drained (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- garlic salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, barbecue sauce and garlic powder. Mix in chicken, corn and chives by hand.
- Bring both pie crusts to room temperature per package instructions. Roll on a non-stick surface. Using a sharp knife cut each crust into 4 equal portions.
- Divide the filling between 4 pieces. Divide the shredded cheese between the pockets then brush the edges with egg wash.
- Fit the other pie crust pieces on top. Fold or crimp the edges with a fork.
- Carefully move onto the baking sheet. Cut two slits in the top to vent.
- Brush the tops and sides with beaten egg wash. Sprinkle each turnover with garlic salt and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Rest for 5 minutes on the pan then serve.