This amazing BLT Macaroni Salad is a fusion dish combining everything we love about a BLT sandwich and a pasta salad. It can be served as an entree for a light supper, as a make and take picnic salad or as a mouthwatering side dish for a backyard Summer BBQ.
Fusion Macaroni Salad
Macaroni salad is a picnic classic and I think it's fun to shake things up from time to time and add a bit of a twist to classic Macaroni Salad. This BLT variation is made with elbow macaroni, thinly sliced lettuce, green onions, diced plum tomatoes and a homemade creamy mayonnaise dressing. And, of course, a generous amount of crumbled bacon.It's scrumptious and a fantastic addition to your pasta salad menu.
- To keep the crispy texture of the lettuce and bacon toss those ingredients into the salad on the day you plan on serving it or, just before serving. I often make this salad the day before to give the flavors time to marry and then toss those last two ingredients into the mix on the day I'm planning on serving this BLT macaroni salad.
- If you add the final touches within a hour or two of serving you'll be good to go. It's always a good idea to stir well, and adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper after the salad has cooled. Warm pasta tends to soak-up the dressing.
- It's also important to use a hearty lettuce such as this green leaf lettuce for the gorgeous color, texture and taste.
- The ingredient amounts are easily halved if you're cooking for a smaller crowd.
- If you love BLT's as much as my family does, checkout this BLT Pie recipe from Better Homes and Garden.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
BLT Macaroni Salad
- 1 16 oz box elbow macaroni
- 1 ½ cup real mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp dry dill
- black pepper to taste
- 5 green onion thinly sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 cup loosely packed thinly sliced green leaf lettuce
- ½ lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dill and black pepper to taste.
- Add the drained macaroni, sliced green onion and diced tomatoes. Mix until evenly distributed then cover and chill.
- Just before serving mix in the sliced green leaf lettuce and crumbled bacon. Taste and adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with additional bacon and green onion if desired. Serve warm or chilled.