BLT Macaroni Salad – This BLT macaroni salad is a fusion dish combining everything we love about a BLT sandwich and a pasta salad. What could possibly be wrong with that! It can be served as an entree for a light supper, as a make and go picnic salad or for a Summer BBQ. Think macaroni, thinly sliced lettuce and green onions, diced sweet plum tomatoes and a homemade creamy mayonnaise dressing. And of course, there’s smokey crumbled bacon.
To keep the crispy texture of the lettuce and bacon toss those ingredients into the salad on the day you plan on serving it or just before serving. I often make this salad the day before to give the flavors time to marry and then toss those last two ingredients in the day I’m planning on devouring this BLT macaroni salad or at least within a hour or two of serving.
It’s always a good idea to stir well, and adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper after the salad has cooled. Warm pasta tends to soak-up the dressing. I recommend that you use a hearty lettuce such as this green leaf lettuce for the gorgeous color, texture and taste. It’s easily halved if you’re cooking for a smaller crowd. It’s scrumptious and a fantastic addition to your pasta salad menu.
BLT Macaroni Salad
- 1  oz box elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dry dill
- black pepper to taste
- 5 green onion thinly sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 cup loosely packed thinly sliced green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dill and black pepper to taste.
- Add the drained macaroni, sliced green onion and diced tomatoes. Mix until evenly distributed then cover and chill.
- Just before serving mix in the sliced green leaf lettuce and crumbled bacon. Taste and adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with additional bacon and green onion if desired.
- Store chilled
This recipe easily halves.