This amazing BLT Macaroni Salad is a fusion dish combining everything we love about a BLT sandwich and a pasta salad. It can be served as an entrée for a light supper, as a make and take picnic salad or as a mouthwatering side dish for a backyard Summer BBQ.
Easy BLT Macaroni Salad Recipe
Macaroni salad is a picnic classic and I think it's fun to shake things up from time to time and add a bit of a twist to classic Macaroni Salad. This BLT variation is made with elbow macaroni, thinly sliced lettuce, green onions, diced plum tomatoes and a homemade creamy mayonnaise dressing. And, of course, a generous amount of crumbled bacon. It's scrumptious and a fantastic addition to your pasta salad menu.
How to Make the Best BLT Macaroni Salad Recipe
Serve this hearty macaroni salad as a featured side dish or an entrée, either way it's a winning flavor combination.
- Ingredients you'll need to make this easy BLT Macaroni Salad recipe: Elbow macaroni, mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder or granulated garlic, paprika, fresh or dried dill, black pepper, green onions, tomatoes, crumbled bacon and green leaf lettuce.
- Green leaf lettuce is my lettuce of choice for BLT macaroni salad. To keep the crispy texture of the lettuce and bacon toss those ingredients into the salad on the day you plan on serving it or just before serving. I often make this salad the day before to give the flavors time to marry and then toss those last two ingredients of lettuce and tomatoes into the mix on the day I'm planning on serving this BLT macaroni salad. Just place it into a large bowl and toss together. If you add the final touches within a hour or two of serving you'll be good to go.
- You can also adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper after the salad has cooled. Warm pasta tends to soak-up the seasonings and dressing.
- It's also important to use a hearty lettuce such as this green leaf lettuce for the gorgeous color, texture and taste.
- The ingredient amounts are easily halved if you're cooking for a smaller crowd.
- Store BLT Macaroni Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- If you love BLT's as much as my family does, checkout this BLT Pie recipe from Better Homes and Garden.
More Recipes Using Macaroni to Make
Macaroni has many uses and can add bulk and flavor to the most mundane meal. More Southern style recipes using macaroni and pasta to try:
- Super cheesy Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese.
- Tuna Macaroni Salad can be enjoyed as a side dish or a light meal.
- The kiddos love this Cheesy Hot Dog Macaroni Casserole.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad is delicious to the very last forkful.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
BLT Macaroni Salad
- 1 16 oz box elbow macaroni
- 1 ½ cup real mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dry dill
- black pepper to taste
- 5 green onion thinly sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 cup loosely packed thinly sliced green leaf lettuce
- ½ lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water per the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dill and black pepper to taste.
- Add the drained macaroni, sliced green onion and diced tomatoes. Mix until evenly distributed then cover and chill.
- Just before serving mix in the sliced green leaf lettuce and crumbled bacon. Taste and adjust the creaminess of the dressing and the amount of salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with additional bacon and green onion if desired. Serve warm or chilled.
Delicious….. didn’t have stripped bacon, used real bacon bits from Sam’s .. will become my “Go to”salad for summer pot luck.. next time will fry up bacon.TY
Had a family dinner and everyone loved it
This was fantastic, will be making this for all the summer bbq’s.
The dressing alone could be put on any macaroni salad! It's absolutely delicious !❤️ I loved this salad! Thank you!❤️
Thank you so much!
I LIKE THIS RECIPE,IM GONNA TRY IT.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.IM RAING IT 5.
The ingredients call for 3TBS sugar, but this is not mentioned in the directions. Where does this go?
It's in the dressing.
I make this same macaroni salad only I add cucumbers green peppers radishes boiled eggs and shredded chesse
Oh wow this looks fabulous!! I’m always looking for new takes on classics, and this sounds perfect. My husband would just love it! Thanks!!!
Johny Carino's Restaurant has a wedge salad made with iceberg lettuce, Blue Cheese crumbles, tomatoes, fried buttery pecans and fried bacon bits. OMG, this is almost like it and is absolutely wonderful!
Looks great. Really can't wait to try it. Thanks!!!
I love your crock pot mac and cheese and I can't wait to try this. .
Hi Sarah! Wonderful so happy you're enjoying that one, it's a family favorite! This is perfect for summer picnics. ☺
Hi Melissa. I live in Tijuana Mex. and can't find celery salt.. is there something I can substitute for that instead?
Hi Maria! You can omit that and use regular salt. Perhaps add a bit of finely diced celery to replace it but otherwise you should be good.
Oh Melissa, this is a fabulous idea, I love it. I'll be trying it this weekend, thanks!
My pleasure, it is a bit addicting. xoxo
I have 2 broken feet so my husband has been cooking for 6 long months and he was so excited to make this it makes you want it because it looks so good, I can't wait! who knew he could cook after 33 years of marriage, Thanks for this recipe that takes all that he loves and all in one bowl! yummy!!
Hi Kathi, sorry to hear about your injury but, yay for husbands who cook! Enjoy!
Carol at Wild Goose Mama
Boy Howdy this is a terrific idea to change up macaroni salad. And who doesn't love bacon. Just in time for the summer season. Thanx for the great idea.
My pleasure Carol!
Thank you for the nice recipe. Have a great day!
My pleasure same to you!