Southern Style Macaroni And Cheese – When it comes to macaroni and cheese, there more far more variations than there are Southern states. I would describe this particular version as my quick and easy, homestyle macaroni and cheese. This version is specifically designed for those days, you don’t have the time to make the cheese sauce from scratch. That’s right…no sauce to cook!
This dish continues to delight kids of every generation and kids of all ages gravitate to it no matter the occasion or what other dishes are being offered. Unlike my 5 Cheese Holiday Macaroni and Cheese, where the cheese sauce is turned from a bechamel sauce into a gloriously rich 5 cheese sensation, the sauce for this dish is whipped up using my stand blender. Pour the no-cook cheese sauce over layers of cooked classic elbow macaroni and top it all off with a blend of sharp cheddar cheese.
Southern Style Macaroni And Cheese
- 2 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 4 cup shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese blend divided [*see cook's note]
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 [10 3/4 oz] can cheddar cheese soup
- 2/3 cup soft easy melting cheese [such as Velveeta or Cheez Whiz]
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium size pot, boil the elbow macaroni in salted water until al dente Drain well.
- In a blender, blend together the milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese soup, cheez whiz, eggs, melted butter, white pepper, ground mustard, and salt. You can also do this by hand with a whisk.
- Layer one half of the cooked macaroni in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spread the last of the cooked elbow macaroni over the cheese layer.
- Pour the creamy sauce evenly over the macaroni. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Dot the top with butter just before baking.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve hot.
The cheese I used is a blend of mild, medium and sharp cheddar cheese. Any combination of cheese will work in the same amount.