These cute as a button Mini Chicken Pot Pies are made in a cupcake pan. They're perfection when you're cooking for one or two people or those times when a single serving entrée is on the menu.
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
This recipe is one that works perfectly for families of all sizes. To make it you'll need a large skillet, measuring cups and spoons and a sharp knife and chopping board for chopping the chicken. You'll need a whisk for making the sauce and a large spoon or non stick spatula for stirring the filling together. A silicone pastry mat or similar non stick surface for preparing the pie dough rounds is helpful. You'll need a 3.5-4 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out the pie crust and a 1.5 inch cutter to make the top crust. A small bowl for making the egg wash and a silicone or natural bristle pastry brush for applying the egg wash to the tops. Lastly, you will need a standard size cupcake or muffin pan to bake the pot pies.
How to Make the Best Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Mini Chicken Pot Pies: Refrigerated pie crusts, chopped rotisserie chicken, mixed vegetables, butter, flour, garlic salt, lemon pepper, onion powder, dry mustard, milk, thyme and one large egg beaten with water for the egg wash.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large skillet, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk, a large stirring spoon, a non stick surface for rolling out the pie crusts, 3 ½ - 4 inch round biscuit cutter, a pastry brush and a standard 12 cup cupcake pan.
- This recipe utilizes a package of refrigerated pie crusts to keep things simple. If you'd like to make your own crust you can! Checkout my Flaky Pie Crust recipe here.
- I used chopped rotisserie chicken in this recipe. You can use any leftover cooked chicken, poached or baked chicken. In a pinch you could also use canned chicken if that's what you have on hand.
- The creamy sauce for these pot pies is homemade. It's meant to be thicker by design to keep it from overflowing the crust while baking.
- The mixed vegetables in the recipe need to be steamed prior to adding to the filling.
- Salted butter or unsalted butter can be used.
- Seasonings: Garlic salt, lemon pepper, onion powder and ground mustard. You can use black pepper in place of lemon pepper and ½ teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard in place of ground mustard.
- Fresh thyme adds another dimension of flavor to the sauce. You can use ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme or 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped tarragon.
- Egg wash: An egg wash is basically beaten egg mixed with water to brush the pastry to give it a shine. You may opt to brush the tops with melted butter, instead.
- These pies reheat beautifully in the microwave. If frozen, you can thaw them then reheat in the microwave or reheat them from frozen in the oven.
- When reheating from frozen, place into a preheated 325°F oven with foil on top just until heated through.
More Tips and Southern Style Pot Pie Recipes to Make
One last point, the top crust for these pot pies can be topped with a second crust using any leftover pie dough scraps. You may note, I did this with my pot pies in the images. To do so, cut out the rounds then place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and bake alongside the pot pies until golden. The single crusts won't take as long to bake. More pot pie recipes to try:
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie is a delicious fusion dish.
- Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits features a flavorful beef filling topped with drop biscuits.
- Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is a fan favorite year after year.
- Steak and Potato Pie is a rich and hearty main dish entree.
- Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie is a comforting one dish meal.
- Vegetable and Biscuit Pot Pie from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- 1 14.5 oz package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper (or black pepper)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 ⅓ cups whole milk OR half and half
- 1 ¼ cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup steamed mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the cups of a 12-cup standard size cupcake-muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Add flour, garlic salt, lemon pepper, onion powder and ground mustard. Whisk until butter is absorbed.
- Add half and half, whisking until fully combined. Bring to a gentle bubble whisking constantly. Lower heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add chicken, vegetables and thyme. Mix well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring crusts to room temperature per package directions. Unroll one pie crust on a non stick or lightly floured surface. Using a 3.5-4 inch biscuit cutter, cut into 6 rounds. Repeat with second crust. Press one round onto bottom and sides of each well of cupcake pan.
- Reroll scraps and cut into (12) 1.5 inch rounds.
- Divide filling evenly between each of the 12 crusts. Top each mini pie with a 1.5 inch dough round. (You can repeat and reroll any leftover scraps and cut into additional shapes of 1.5 inch rounds to bake along with pot pies on a separate pan.)
- Brush the top crusts with beaten egg. (Also any additional pie crust rounds you're baking separately)
- Place pies into the preheat oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the crusts are golden and filling is bubbly. Let stand in pan for 3-5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of each pie and gently lift from the bottom to a platter. (You may place any additional crust rounds on each, if you have extra.)
- Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled. You may also freeze in an airtight container after cooling for up to 2 months.
- Reheat chilled pies in the microwave or frozen pies in a 325°F oven until heated through. (lay foil on top in the oven)
Leave a Reply