This Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is made using one of my favorite kitchen tools, my cast iron skillet. I really don’t know what I would do without my cast iron skillets they are my “go to” when it comes to pans in my kitchen. They hold and distribute the heat evenly making the bottom crust for this chicken pot pie bake crispy and golden. The creamy homemade base for the chicken and vegetable filling cooks to sheer perfection. Chicken and vegetables cooked between buttery pie pastry couldn’t be anything other than a downhome skillet meal that screams comfort.
A Well Used Shortcut Takes The Stress Out of Preparing Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
I use refrigerated pie crusts in this recipe to make the meal-prep go a bit quicker. In doing so, I can whip-up this chicken pot pie on a weekday with ease and my family can proceed to gobble it up. If you have a favorite homemade pie crust recipe, feel free to adapt this recipe using it. Even better, if you’ve purchased one of my Melissa’s Southern Cookbooks, my “go to” pie crust recipe is included and you could use it, too. The beauty of this one-skillet meal is; it takes me on a trip down memory lane. I can vividly remember my Mom making this same comforting dish for my brothers and myself when we were kids. It thrills me to the core to share the same dish with my own sweet boys. Serve it on it’s own or with a heaping helping of mashed potatoes and a side salad for a meal fit for serving a King or Queen. Checkout my Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie here.
Other Cast Iron Dishes To Try
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 rib celery diced
- 3 green onion chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half & half or cream
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dry tarragon leaves
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 14 oz package refrigerated pie crust, bring to room temperature per instructions
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp cold water (Egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or similar with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Cook the celery and green onion in the butter for 3 minutes or until the celery is beginning to soften.
- Lower the heat to medium, stirring constantly add the flour to the skillet. Stir until the butter has absorbed the flour.
- Continue whisking gradually adding the chicken broth. Increase the temperature and bring to a boil. Add the half & half and immediately lower the heat to simmer. Add the poultry seasoning, garlic salt, tarragon, lemon pepper and black pepper. Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the heat and mix in the chicken and vegetables. Mix well.
- Unroll one pie crust and fit firmly onto the bottom and sides of the skillet. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Fit the second crust on top. Fold under pressing the edges of the crusts together and pinching to seal.
- Cut slits in the middle of the crust to vent. Brush with the beaten egg wash.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden. Rest for 10 minutes then serve.