Dijon Sausage Rolls are a delicious savory pastry that can be served as an appetizer, for breakfast, brunch or as a main dish. It’s made of a delicious savory sausage filling that’s wrapped-up in buttery puff pastry and baked until puffed and golden. Serve it with additional mustard on the side for dipping for the ultimate savory treat.
Dijon Sausage Rolls
Tips for Making Sausage Rolls
A few pointers for making sausage rolls:
- Puff pastry is simple to work with but, it’s imperative you follow the directions on the package regarding how to properly thaw the dough.
- These sausage rolls are made using raw sausage, not precooked. Because of this it’s important to use a quality, lean breakfast sausage for the best results. A lower quality sausage will result in greasy sausage rolls.
- Once baked, allow the rolls to rest on the pan before cutting to allow some of the steam to escape. This will help when cutting them into portions to serve.
- If you have any concerns about the bottom of the puff pastry collecting more fat than you like, carefully move the rolls onto doubled paper towels to rest for a few minutes to absorb the excess.
- For a timesaver, the filling can be made one day in advance, placed into an airtight container and chilled until assembling the rolls. Likewise, the entire recipe can also be assembled and chilled until you’re ready to bake. In that instance, brush with the egg wash just before baking..
- If preferred you may use a whole grain or a milder mustard in place of the Dijon.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Dijon Sausage Rolls
Servings: 24 pieces
- 2 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 lb quality breakfast sausage i.e. Jimmy Dean
- 2 large eggs beaten separately
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2-1 tsp hot sauce [optional]
- 3 small green onions. finely chopped
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, soak two slices of bread with 1/2 cup of milk until soaked. Add the sausage, 1 beaten egg, dijon, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, seasoned salt, onion powder and hot sauce. Mix well. After the mixture is fully combined, add the chopped green onions.
- Thaw the puff pastry per the instructions on the package. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to approximately 14 inch square and divide through the middle.
- Divide the sausage evenly and place down the middle of each section. Brush the edges with the egg wash from the second beaten egg reserving some for the exterior.
- Fold the puff pastry over the filling overlapping the edges. Ending seam side down.
- Carefully move the sausage rolls to the parchment, and place seam side down for baking. Smooth and shape. Score the top at one inch intervals. Brush on all sides with remaining beaten egg wash.
- Brush on all sides with the beaten egg wash.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Continue to bake for an additional 50 minutes or until golden and sausage cooked through.
- Allow to rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes after you removed from oven.
- Using a sharp knife, cut along score lines into serving pieces.
- Serve warm with additional Dijon or sweet hot mustard for dipping.
Use a lean good quality sausage for the best results.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!