I love potluck casseroles like this Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole. They’re insanely versatile and great for feeding a hungry crowd. For this particular variation I use both sweet and spicy Italian sausage to give it a flavor twist. It can certainly be made with good ‘ole country pork breakfast sausage in the same amount, if you prefer. The tater tots soak in the easy egg custard that’s whipped-up conveniently using a stand blender and there’s plenty of cheese to tie it all together.
I typically assemble this breakfast casserole just before baking however, it can be assembled in advance then brought to room temperature and baked just before serving, if time is an issue. You’ll need to increase the baking time just a bit to be certain it cooks through evenly not only along the edges but also in the middle. The tater tots, Italian sausage and cheese make a yummy combination that your breakfast diners will love.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb mild ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb spicy ground Italian sausage
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic salt divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sliced green onion divided
- 1 32 oz package frozen Tater tots
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 2 1/2 cups half & half
- 10 large eggs
- 4 oz Onion & Chive cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, Set aside.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Remove casings from sausage and cook over medium-high heat along with 1/2 cup green onion, until no pink remains in the sausage. Season with 1/2 tsp garlic salt and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. Drain all excess fat from the pan set aside.
- Layer the tater tots evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Top with the cooked sausage and sprinkle with 1/4 cup green onion. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- In a blender, whisk together the half & half, eggs, cream cheese, 1 tsp garlic salt, black pepper, ground mustard and nutmeg.
- Pour evenly over the filling. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden and set when gently shaken.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes on the counter then sprinkle with the remaining green onion and serve.
It's not necessary to completely thaw the tater tots, just allow them to sit on the counter while you prepare the other ingredients.