This Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole appeals to kids of all ages. Layers of tater tots and Italian sausage smothered with a rich egg custard and cheese will be the star of your brunch table.
Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I love potluck casseroles. They're insanely versatile and great for feeding a hungry crowd. For this particular variation I use both sweet and spicy Italian sausage to give it a flavor twist. It can certainly be made with good 'ole country pork breakfast sausage in the same amount, if you prefer. The tater tots soak in the easy egg custard that's whipped-up conveniently using a stand blender and there's plenty of shredded cheddar cheese to tie it all together.
How to Make the Best Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I typically assemble this breakfast casserole just before baking, however it can be assembled in advance to save time. This casserole is perfection for weekend breakfasts with the family, holiday brunches and any potluck party.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Tater Tot Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe: Tater tots, Italian sausage either mild or spicy, garlic salt, black pepper, olive oil, green onions, large eggs, half and half, shredded cheddar cheese, onion and chive cream cheese, nutmeg and ground mustard.
- There's no need to thaw the tater tots prior to adding them to the other ingredients. The time it takes to make and assemble the other ingredients is ample time for them to slightly defrost.
- When making this casserole in advance, allow the casserole to sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes to bring it to room temperature before baking.
- When baking from chilled, you'll need to increase the baking time just a bit. Add 10 minutes or so, to be certain it cooks through evenly not only along the edges but also in the middle.
- You can use regular breakfast sausage, spicy sausage or adapt using your favorite flavor, if desired.
- You may like to serve this with a basket of Southern Buttermilk Biscuits or Angel Biscuits and plenty of butter and jam.
- Store leftover tater tot casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions.
More Southern Style Breakfast Casseroles Recipes to Make
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole uses crescent rolls for the crust.
- My recipe for Giddy Up and Go Breakfast Cobbler was inspired by my son's when they were toddlers. They still love it!
- Asiago Cheese Italian Sausage Strata is a holiday must-make.
- Individual Size Breakfast Egg Muffins are made in a cupcake pan.
- Checkout this collection of 15 Money Saving Casserole Recipes on Parade.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tater Tot Italian Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb mild ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb spicy ground Italian sausage
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt divided
- 1 cup sliced green onion divided
- 1 32 oz package frozen Tater tots
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 2 ½ cups half & half
- 10 large eggs
- 4 oz onion & chive cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray, Set aside.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Remove casings from sausage and cook over medium-high heat along with ½ cup green onion. Cook until no pink remains, seasoning with ½ teaspoon garlic salt. Drain all excess fat from the pan set aside.
- To assemble: Layer tater tots evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese. Top with sausage and ¼ cup green onion. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- In a blender, whisk together the half & half, eggs, cream cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, black pepper, mustard and nutmeg. Pour evenly over the filling. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden and set when gently shaken.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes on the counter then sprinkle with the remaining green onion and serve.