This homemade Breakfast Sausage recipe is flavor packed. The combination of fresh herbs and seasonings in the pork sausage mixture makes it next level in flavor. This sausage can be used in any recipe that calls for pork breakfast sausage as an ingredient.
Easy Breakfast Sausage Recipe
It probably hasn’t occurred to you to make your own homemade breakfast sausage. Once you get into the groove of making it yourself, you’ll be hooked. When making something like this from scratch, it gives you the ability to control the seasonings and in turn the flavor. There’s plenty of room to personalize and the difference in flavor is noticeably homemade. That’s a kitchen win in my book. How to make ground pork Breakfast Sausage:
- Pork – Unseasoned ground pork.
- Herbs – Fresh sage and fresh thyme.
- Garlic – Fresh finely minced garlic.
- Seasonings – Brown sugar, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, poultry seasoning, smoked paprika and onion powder.
How to Make the Best Breakfast Sausage Recipe
This homemade breakfast sausage recipe has a depth of flavor that makes it noticeably homemade. The ingredients and seasonings are easily customizable to fit your taste, so use this recipe and amounts as a starting point and adapt it to your taste.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Breakfast Sausage: 1 1/2 pounds ground pork, fresh sage, fresh thyme, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes (you may omit) minced garlic, paprika, poultry seasoning (or ground sage and a dash of nutmeg) and onion powder.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: Mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a sharp knife and cutting board and large silicone spatula or spoon for stirring. Even better, use your hands!
- This sausage does have a slight heat from the crushed red pepper flakes, You can add more if you like more heat or omit them altogether if you don’t want a spicy sausage. You can also adapt adding ground chipotle or ancho chili powder for a smokey heat or replace the red pepper flakes with cayenne to really pack a punch.
- If you have trouble finding fresh herbs you can use dried in their place. Please note the flavor of dried herbs is much more intense and you should adjust the amounts. Rule of thumb for this sausage recipe is to use 1 1/4 teaspoons of dried to replace the 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh herbs called for in the recipe.
- Why poultry seasoning? Poultry seasoning is a combination of ground sage, nutmeg, marjoram, rosemary, thyme and black pepper. It’s an easy way to enhance the flavor of the sausage without needing to add each ground seasoning separately. You can adapt using 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage and a dash of nutmeg, if preferred.
- How to make Maple Breakfast Sausage: Add 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup to the pork mixture.
- You can adapt this recipe using the same amount of ground turkey or ground chicken.
- The marinate time allows the flavors to marry and fully flavor the sausage. However, in a pinch you can use the sausage immediately, Chill time is ideal to fully develop the flavor.
- You can use this recipe for any recipe that calls for breakfast sausage in the same amount. Instead of forming into patties, cook and crumble depending on the dish you’re making. To make Southern sausage gravy, brown and crumble the sausage in a large skillet, then add flour and make gravy. See the next section below for the link to my recipe for biscuits and gravy.
- There’s no need to add additional oil to the skillet for frying. If you notice them sticking, a small amount of vegetable oil added to the pan should do the trick.
- Store Breakfast Sausage patties in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If stacking separate with wax paper.
- Freeze patties for up to 3 months.
More Breakfast Recipes Featuring Sausage to Make
Whether you’re planning a special weekend brunch or weekday breakfast for the family, you may also enjoy these recipes:
- These Cheddar Sausage Balls are an appetizer favorite in the South.
- Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is an iconic breakfast dish we love for supper, too!
- Two Bite Cheesy Dijon Sausage Cups.
- My Easy Sausage Quiche recipe is a fan favorite.
- Cornbread and Sausage Quiche is brunch ready.
- These Pull Apart Sausage Egg and Cheese Rolls can be assembled in advance and baked when you’re ready to eat.
- Pancake Sausage on a Stick from Great Grub and Delicious Treats.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 4 small-medium cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- In a medium size mixing bowl add ground pork, garlic, brown sugar, fresh sage, thyme, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, poultry seasoning, paprika and onion powder. Mix using your hands or a large non stick spatula until combined and seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions shaping into even size patties. Place onto a wax paper lined sheet pan.
- In a 12 inch skillet or similar, over medium heat, cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until an internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Serve immediately with your favorite breakfast items.